DAS skimmer club

Aquabee bulkhead

Aquabee bulkhead

I am putting this on an well stocked 75 and wanted to take one aqua bee off. What can I use to plug the aqua bee ports into the skimmer?

New Pump

New Pump

OK so I need another pump --
Still available from DAS but now they are the Red Devil brand from China.
$99 each including the fittings.
Ask for Kirk Browning in sales.
1-972-938-2020

Heard a rattling noise from a pump last night, shut it down.
It is a newer model with the red flange holder & ceramic bushing.
A little Teflon tape outside the red rubber snugged it all up again & no more noise.
A quick fix.

Stewart from D&D claims that if there is any indication of movement from the pump the block is good & some kind of repair is needed, no reason to toss the unit.
Phil has everything for both style pumps, new & old, except possibly impellers, he was unsure of it.
I have gotten by with teflon tape around a rubber bushing to make it seat better in the hole & it is still running.
Glad to help, I need them too.

Still in the club!

Just updated my EX-1 to 2018 with a Varios 2S pump; I like the skimmer too much to be tempted by other pieces of plastic, newer and certainly more expensive skimmers often seem less well built when I check them out, or inclusive of many real advancements over the last 10 years (and nothing is external). This thing has stood up to the test of time and still feels solid.

A few hours in:

sU6IiA4.jpg

Last edited:
Stoked, this pump works really well with the EX-1. First week below.

XpdyuKF.jpg

Cleaned it pulls strong on 3/5 max power, and after a few days I set it at 4/5 and it pulls flawlessly until you simply have to clean due to lid/cup debris blocking foam. Being able to adjust the pump like that as the skimmer get dirtier is awesome!

That would be interesting since I never see any of these DC pumps with the input unions that would make them usable on an external skimmer setup.

Yeah, I chose it since it is the pump RO uses on their external Regal skimmers, and it is also sold for external use as a circulation pump. They just don’t have a model with the 2s (start at 4s) and partially why I did not just buy a new skimmer.

Ended up using three of the unions that are sold with it (1” slip out), 1” fittings, and a 1” venturi I had picked up a long time ago, to retrofit it. Had to cut the original skimmer body union stubs and glued to new 1” ones from the pump over them.

Last edited:
I'm still going strong with my das ex-2 in 2021. A couple of years ago, I brought an extra pump since red devils were starting to get hard to find. I still haven't had to use it. :lol2:

Still, clean up pretty as day 1. :hb2:

One of the easiest skimmers in the world. It is set and forget. More companies should clone these designs with new dc pumps.

Attachments

• 20210812_235233.jpg
    20210812_235233.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 0
IF the pump gets noisy it is usually the seat of one or more of the bushings or both the seat & the bushing.
I have found that wrapping the bushing with Teflon tape so you get a tight fit again it will run silent again. I have done this multiple times on the same end.
The newer set up with a ceramic insert is even nicer.
Red Devils are available from Ali Express in good old China. I have the EX-3

Back