Dazed and Confused

Onesaltydawg

Premium Member
I am asking for honest answers not sarcasism. I am lately having issues with my water salinity. One week it will be 1.023 and next it will be 1.027. Question which way and how do I get it back to normal? Add more Salt water or RO water?

What are you using to measure salinity? You should buy a reliable hydrometer - it is the most accurate.

You are also losing water to evaporation which will increase your salinity. Do you use a chiller or a fan to cool your water? A fan will increase your evaporation rate a lot faster. You may consider buying an auto-topper to pump fresh R/O into your system to counteract evaporation.

heres what i do

heres what i do

get the salinity here you want it, then I take a piece of tape and put it at the level of the water on the outside of the sump, and each day I fill the sump with ro water back to the tape level and that seems to keep my tank pretty steady, water evaps but the salt stays ,if you keep adding saltwater the salinity will get higher vs the ro water I fill almost 1 gallon each day. and after each water change you will have to move the piece of tape to the new water level. thats how i do it maybe there are better ways but i have no probelms

Danny:)

fish @ chips 29 - I appreciate your response

WayneL333 - I use a refractometer and with the heat it seems that I am adding RO water constantly.

cunningham - Danny...you have a great idea and it is worth the shot.

savethereef - My LFS closed its doors last week so I am running short on RO and sources for it localy.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9832665#post9832665 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Onesaltydawg
savethereef - My LFS closed its doors last week so I am running short on RO and sources for it localy.

Time to invest in your own ro/di unit....with the number of tanks you have, it will make your life easier and you can be assured of good quality water.

do you have any

do you have any

do you have any of those "water shops"around you, that's where I get mine usually found in a shopping center

Re: do you have any

Re: do you have any

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9832930#post9832930 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cunningham
do you have any of those "water shops"around you, that's where I get mine usually found in a shopping center

I will have to check

glaudds...Time to invest in your own ro/di unit....with the number of tanks you have, it will make your life easier and you can be assured of good quality water.

I am going through a divorce right now and money is tight and RO units are pricey...but will investigate after itt is final

Re: Re: do you have any

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9833034#post9833034 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Onesaltydawg

I am going through a divorce right now and money is tight and RO units are pricey...but will investigate after itt is final

Ouch, sorry to hear...good luck.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9833034#post9833034 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Onesaltydawg
I will have to check

I have a used RO unit (new filters) you can borrow 'til you get back on your feet. no DI though

just let me know

Kevin

Kevin ... that would be awesome because there are not any water stores around here unfortunately... Pm me where and when bro

Be sure too when using your refractometer that you completely void the collection dropper. Anything left in there can play hob with your readings on the following day, because it will be more condensed through evaporation.

A marked line on the sump is your best indicator if you are having fluxing water levels due to surging in lines or tanks.

I also suggest you re-calibrate your 'fractometer at least every week with a drop of RO water. You'll find that however you tune it, it will somehow get out of calibration.

Thanks guys for all your help...it truely shows the family atmosphere when someone reaches out for a life line and so many are there to help... you all are truely the best

Oh, and let me tell you one on me: I have an autotopoff on a dual float. I was tired. The darned hose had fallen out of the port and the float had signaled 'need', so it happily pumped 32 g of ro/di water onto the floor. I rammed the hose in good and deep into the port, refilled the ro/di barrel [fortunately I have my own unit] and set up again. For the next while, I couldn't get the salt to stay up---I worked and worked, I used half a container of salt---and it wouldn't stay up. It finally dawned on me: by jamming the hose down INTO the sump, I'd created a siphon between the barrel and the tank, so every few seconds, the siphon would drain water off, the autotopoff would signal 'fill', the barrel pump would cut on til it satisfied the autotopoff unit, and then the back-siphon would drain it back into the barrel: cue the autotopoff; fill; backsiphon...repeat 20-30 times a minute, oh, for a day at least.

I couldn't raise the salinity because I was slowly, step by step, raising the freshwater barrel's salinity to equal that of the tank---a slow process, at half a cup a go. I felt like banging my head against the wall when I realized what had been going on.

Some sort of automatic topoff is really useful. It can be as simple as a drip, a container with a float valve, or an electronic controller with pump. It's much easier and more stable than adding a bunch of fresh water every few days.

cunningham :thumbsup:
thats my method. werks like a charm...

Sk8r... :lmao: ur the only person on earth that this has happened to... i checkd genis book and ur in there... dude that is a nutty story... glad u caught it tho before it did some real damage! :thumbsup:

Kevin...thanks again for all the knowledge you shared today and the bicolor angel made itself right at home after acclaimation.

Back