Dead cleaner shrimp

Mstark11

New member
Well, this is my first tank casualty.

Yesterday morning I checked my salinity and got somewhere around 1.033-1.034 (Because of a mistake I made using salt-water in top off.)
So I spent all day from like.. 10am to 11pm lowering it to 1.025, and I'm wondering if that's what killed him.

I only have a coral beauty and a fox face so I don't know if they ganged up and murdered him but I don't really think so.
 

masonicman

New member
A salinity wing like that can shock your system. Cleaner Shrimps are intolerant of copper-based medications, high nitrate levels, and fluctuating water parameters. IMO that's what has killed it. Just for high hopes. It did not molt correct?
 

Mstark11

New member
No. Not unless the molt is the same color as him, and he's hiding somewhere that isn't his shop. I was hoping it was, but I can't find him.
 

Mstark11

New member
Yea, I was really worried about shocking the system. I went down 0.001 every hour and a half to 2 hours. The fish didn't seem to notice, and I don't have any corals.
 

masonicman

New member
I know it sucks but it happens to the best of us. Just learn from your mistake and move on. Get your parameters right and get a new guy. Matter of fact get two if you have the room. They are cool when they hang out together in one station waiting to clean some body.
 

den75

New member
+1^^^ I agree, things will happen that were preventable, but as long as you learn from the mistake you'll be better for it. Thankfully it wasn't a lot worse.
 

Gill_bucket

New member
The molt will have color and they usually do hide for a couple day after a molt. If your CUC is eating it then it's not a molt, if they are leaving it be you might not have lost him.

I had a cleaner for years, he was huge!!!! Then I topped of my tank by adding fresh directly to the display (I didn't have a sump back then) the fresh water was poured directly onto the cleaner shrimp. Within seconds the shrimp was upside down walking around with his feet touching the surface of the water. Within minutes he was dead :( so yes they are very sensitive to salinity IME.
 

Mstark11

New member
I don't have any hermits (i had them as pets as a child and i think they're nasty) but the snails don't seem too concerned with him. And yea, I guess I'm very thankful I only lost 1 resident, and not all 3.
 

coralsnaked

New member
Shrimp are the canarys of the aquarium. They are the first livestock to alert you to water problems as they are sensitive to an array of things. You would probably be better off tank wise to have a few crabs as they are great cleaners and will work on some things snails don't really get too. Yes they are a little nasty if you want to call it that as they are the buzzards of the tank, but provide them with enough shells and they won't kill your snails if that's what you mean by nasty. Also, shrimp need proper amounts of Iodine to maintain their ability to molt and grow. If you are not using Reef Crystals or another mix that provides total reef care nutirents (many do not as they are intended for FOWLR tanks), and are needing to supliment calcium, Alk, and other trace elements; then don't forget your Iodine supplimentation. But be careful and do NOT overdo Iodine supplimentation. If you do need to dose then normal dosing = 1 ml per 25 gal per month. And do not skim for 8 hours after dosing as this gives the livestock time to asbsorb the Iodine as the skimmer will pull it off very fast.

Happy Reefing
 

Mstark11

New member
Oh I just meant nasty as in the look nasty and feel nasty and smell. I had a tank of about 4, living on the coast they have those little shops that always sell them, and had this huuuge outbreak of maggots one day for whatever reason. The entire bottom of the tank was just crawling. I know land crabs and saltwater ones are different and that i'm not gunna get maggots but it still I've just never quite gotten over never having to want to deal with them ever again.

and funny enough, I just checked my salt and I did grab reef crystals. I didn't even realize it, it was just what they had.
 
Top