Debating whether or not to get a vortex powerhead

jrbills12

Hey everyone. Well the delema is I have a 75 gallon tank right now with two tunze 6065's I get good flow, but there is still some dead spots. I was wondering if getting a mp40 and spending 450 would be worth the money. Let me know what you guys think. Pros, cons.

I have just 1 MP10 on a 55 LPS tank. Once I got a wave tuned in on short pulse mode I didnt't need anything else. The MP10 with my return on the opposite wall is more than enough for LPS. I'm getting an inch of up and down surge motion on the the tank. If you want to run the ecosmart modes you'll need at least 2, preferably 3 MP10's.

imo they are too much money for what they are. I use 2 koralia evo 1400s and I'm ok with them. I could always get 2 more if I want more flow and it would still be way less than the vortechs.

If your keeping the Tunze's, a single MP40 would do just fine; even an MP10 would work.

Be warned though - you'll soon want a second. :)

I've always said I'd never buy a vortech mainly due to the cost of it and because a friend has his mess up multiple times. Had to send it back to Ecotec over and over.

However, I'm currently working on what I hope to be my final tank for a little while that'll be displayed in my breakfast room. It's a very clean setup, and I don't want any powercords. Vortechs make that happen and give great flow at the same time. So now I'm going to try them.

imo they are too much money for what they are. I use 2 koralia evo 1400s and I'm ok with them. I could always get 2 more if I want more flow and it would still be way less than the vortechs.

So true...

I had a Koralia evo 750 in my tank and it was okay. I just recently swapped it out for an MP20 (which is about 2,000/gph on high) and I could have lived with just adding another Koralia 750, 1050 or 1400.

If your concerned about cash...I'd pass.

For me...it was more of a personal taste purchase. I didn't like the look of the wire coming out of the tank. I wanted a very clean/appealing look so I bite the bullet and brought one.

It's not like everyone hypes it up to be...

I would go with koralias too because of cost. You might want to look up the new maxi-jet pro. Looks awesome.

You can never get from koralia what you get from a vortech pump. There is nothing that can compete with the type of random flow the vortech gives. Your finding ways to deal with not having one but you are not achieving the same affect that they give. they are worth every penny, the best thing i ever bought that made my tank and corals look there best was vortech pump.

If I had the extra cash I'd get em that's for sure, But then again who thought we'd be spending 500 for a powerhead.

That's what I thought before I got mine. The random flow and under tow you get from a vortech is just amazing. I have one in my 65G and love it.

I understand the random flow you get is better, but if this powerhead was $250 a piece, I'd buy it, I just don't justify spending $400 on something that moves water. jmo though. you all make great points! I hope this is helping the OP decide :)

IMO/E they are great pumps but are extremely overpriced. They do a great job but they are not worth the money. There are MUCH cheaper ways of doing the same thing. But they are cool and if cost is not much of an issue then they are great.

Re-arrange your rockwork or re-position your powerheads.....two 1700 Gal/Hr powerheads should be plenty of flow for a 75 Gal Tank.

I've got three Vortech's. My opinion is similar to above. They work great, but are overpriced. I've also had two die on me and require $75 repair fees which I was very unhappy about. If money isn't much of an issue though, they're very nice.

I do agree that they are expensive but they are also the one of the best powerheads on the market.

Back