Decision

Decision

• Total voters

robert s b.

I am getting ready to upgrade to a larger tank and want to know what you all think. I have talked to John at Advance Acrylic today and was very kind. He gave me a quote for a 72L 36W 25T 280 gallons w/ 1 inch thick acrylic and 5" euro brace. I am trying to make a decision, because I can get a Marineland 300 Gallon Deep Dimension w/ Starphire Front for $400 cheaper. For anyone here has any experience with Advance Acrylic please chime in... Also would I regret going Acrylic appose to Glass.

Thanks in Advance!!

Personally I would save the $400 b/c I'm thrifty and I'd actually buy a DD tank used b/c they're starting to come on the market. They're going for about 1/3 retail in my area. But that's not your question. Between the two, acrylic will be clearer to view so that might be your preference in the long run. (Finding a good condition acrylic tank of that size used is very difficult.)

I have had a 120 acrylic tank for 3 years, and I can say that, in the long run, ACRYLIC WILL NOT be clearer.

I love my tank, but will never have an acrylic tank again. They look great new, but you won't keep them clear long.

B

I have had a 120 acrylic tank for 3 years, and I can say that, in the long run, ACRYLIC WILL NOT be clearer.

I love my tank, but will never have an acrylic tank again. They look great new, but you won't keep them clear long.

B

+1 I *HATE* my 150 gal acrylic. Such a PITA to clean and scratches very easily. If you don't stay on top of it, algae encrusts on the acrylic - with glass you just scrape it off with a razor blade.

Hmm, looks like I'm leaning more towards to DD, how about customization. Will I'll be able to drill for bulk heads on the DD. Because if I did buy the DD, I want to be able to use all 4 holes for the drains. I don't think 1 inch is adequate.

Hmm, looks like I'm leaning more towards to DD, how about customization. Will I'll be able to drill for bulk heads on the DD. Because if I did buy the DD, I want to be able to use all 4 holes for the drains. I don't think 1 inch is adequate.

I would also vote for the glass tank! FWIW, you can use three of the holes for drains and one for return (that is how I plumbed my Marineland 265). Don't know about the bottom, but the back on these tanks can be drilled (i.e. not tempered).

Count me in the camp that WOULD NOT buy a large used tank. You can get the Marineland tanks quite inexpensively if you wait for one of their sales (40% off type of thing). Big tanks make me nervous an I prefer to not buy into somebody else's potential problem.

I would also vote for the glass tank! FWIW, you can use three of the holes for drains and one for return (that is how I plumbed my Marineland 265). Don't know about the bottom, but the back on these tanks can be drilled (i.e. not tempered).

Count me in the camp that WOULD NOT buy a large used tank. You can get the Marineland tanks quite inexpensively if you wait for one of their sales (40% off type of thing). Big tanks make me nervous an I prefer to not buy into somebody else's potential problem.

40% off!!! When does that happen? Yes, I would be buying from a lfs.

40% off!!! When does that happen? Yes, I would be buying from a lfs.

The Marineland tank sales are a bit unpredictable, and not always all tanks, so you have to ask your LFS. I bought my 265 back in September when the sale was not quite that good, but got about 25% off. I think the last BIG sale was mid July (ML 300DD was $1,428 before tax and delivery; I believe full retail is $2,200).

Last edited:
I prefer glass DT's for the same reason. On the flipside acrylic has more resale because you can relatively easily clean up the scratches unlike a glass aquarium.

Interesting feedback on the acrylics, I hadn't know folks felt negative about them. If anyone has good experiences with acrylic after several years it'd be good to learn. Please post.

Interesting feedback on the acrylics, I hadn't know folks felt negative about them. If anyone has good experiences with acrylic after several years it'd be good to learn. Please post.

Yes please, if anyone has had experience with acrylic for several years, please chime in. Regarding clarity after a few years and maintenance and precautions you do to prevent scratches inside and out.

Thx

Yes please, if anyone has had experience with acrylic for several years, please chime in. Regarding clarity after a few years and maintenance and precautions you do to prevent scratches inside and out.

Thx

I will say with acrylic it's wise to invest in a good magnet cleaner (I use the Algae Free Hammerhead, but there are better ones out there). Then go buy yourself a box of the "original" Mr. Clean magic eraser pads (none that contain soap/cleaners), filet it in half with a knife (or even thirds), and use it in-between the inside & outside floats. Clean your tank that way every single day, and it will cut down on scrubbing (and potentially scratching) the inside.

I have only had my acrylic tank for almost two years. I like that it's safer than glass as far as not breaking as easily, more flexible if you don't have an even floor, etc. and I live in an earthquake zone and I thought I'd sleep better at night. I read a post where someone's rocks fell and broke the glass tank and he lost everything.

I do have a few scratches already, and it's true that even if you think you'll be careful the scratches will turn up and you can't imagine what you did wrong. One major advice to follow - try not to use an algae scraper for the coralline algae, even the "acrylic safe" plastic scraper can scratch. I use the Algae Free brand magnet cleaner with acrylic safe pad and if there's coralline algae I just keep scrubbing back and forth and it comes off without having to use a scraper. Before you use your magnet push all the sand back from the sides and front of the tank so you can clean all the way to the bottom without worrying about sand. I also remove the magnet cleaner when I'm done so no tiny crustaceans can take up residence which can also scratch your tank.

As much as I love how acrylic is more resilient and easier to work with, I can't keep the coraline off of it. I will never buy acrylic again.

Had acrylic before for years and it was a pain with cleaning. I could not do a daily cleaning (out of town a lot for work), so I had a lot of scratches on it.

Except for the initial set up (weight) issue with the glass, it's the way I have went in the last 3 years. Never been happier.

Alex

Back