Dehumidifier Users...How much water do you collect?

Kaiser Tang

Premium Member
I recently started using a dehumidifer to combat the evaporation of my 200 gal. system. I was shocked to find out that I am pulling out about 1 to 1-1/2 gallons of water each day just to keep my indoor humidity level at 55-60%. Just currious to see how much water you're collecting compared to tank size.

I use two 35pt dehumidifiers for about 140g of total water volume. I have to empty them daily.

i have about 350 gallons total and i also have a 35ppt unit. it will fill up over night and cut off if i don't have the drain hose connected.

What makes you think de-humidifying a room will reduce evaporation? If anything, it will increase evaporation.

Think about it this way-- when you sweat in a desert, it quickly evaporates. When you sweat in a swamp, you stay wet because the air is already saturated with moisture.

Dude, your talking to a science teacher here. I know that a dehumidifer will not reduce evaporation. I was referring to the humidity in the house due to tank water evaporation. Yes, if you decrease humidity, evaporation will increase. But nobody wants a house with 80% humidity either.

If anything, I was surprised to see how little air exchange occurs with the outside air. Basically, I need to open the windows more!

You may want to consider an air exchanger. At those humidity levels you could get condensation in your walls when the outside temps are cool. Over time, mold can take hold. Granted, thats probably not as big a concern as it is here in NE. OH.

Actually, that's why I decided to finally get one. I was getting so much condensation on my windows that it would run down the window and pool on the wndow sil. That led to mold and mildew. So was even being absorbed into the dry walll and the paint was starting to peel off where the wall met the window.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12191099#post12191099 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seapug
What makes you think de-humidifying a room will reduce evaporation? If anything, it will increase evaporation.

Think about it this way-- when you sweat in a desert, it quickly evaporates. When you sweat in a swamp, you stay wet because the air is already saturated with moisture.
Your right but at least in does'nt collect on the ceilings anymore. I had a terrible problem with that but, not anymore. I only have to run them in the winter.

I understand what you mean now-- you want to combat the HUMIDITY caused by the evaporation, not the evaporation itself....that wasn't clear in your original post when you said "I recently started using a dehumidifer to combat the evaporation of my 200 gal. system" My apologies....

Back