Delivery By Fedex Smart Post

PJSEA

I just received shipment notification for order# N7735187-1. It says it was shipped Fedex Smart Post. I was expecting it to go Fedex Home delivery which had an outside chance of being here Saturday or Monday at the latest.
The order confirmation said it would ship Standard Ground(within 7 days). I assumed FEDEX Ground(Home) since this is how all my other orders have shipped. The option of FEDEX Smart Post is NOT listed as one of the options on your website.
If using the Post Office why not just send the package USPS Priority Mail?

I did not want Fedex Smart Post. It sounds like bulk mailing, involving both FEDEX and the Post Office, which will delay delivery significantly. It also appears to have poor tracking capabilities based on complaints posted on the internet about this service.

I am posting this here so others know that the shipping options are different than your website states and may affect delivery times.
Here's a description of the process and a link to FEDEX page:

The process involves Fedex picking up and delivering to a FEDEX facility that scans, sorts and palletizes shipments and then stages shipments, waiting for enough pallets to ship to a geographic area. It then ships it to a Postal Facility it thinks is the most efficient, where it then has to be broken down, scanned(maybe), sorted and shipped through the Postal system.
Again, why not just deliver through the Post Office.

http://fedex.com/us/smartpost/approach/process.html

Last edited:
PJSEA,

You are correct, we do not specify on our site which ground service your package will be delivered by. On ground packages we guarantee delivery within 7 business days and utilize both FedEx and USPS based on the weight of the package. Your description of how SmartPost works is correct, however, the main benefit of this service is the ability to skip zones and in most cases deliver packages sooner then standard postal service. If you have a preference we can permanently list this on your account for future orders. We always strive to meet our customers’ needs and preferences. Please contact us so we may adjust your file accordingly. I apologize for the inconvenience your recent shipment may have caused you.

Jaimie A
Customer Service Manager
Liveaquaria.com

Thanks. I have already changed my preferences to exclude FEDEX Smart Post. In my location delivery will be approx. 7 business days instead of 3.
Your web site needs to reflect this method of shipment.

If you are going to use a method that involves mail delivery, then why not consider just sending it through the mail. My package was probably under a pound and could have shipped US Priority Mail. It would have been delivered tomorrow and cost $4.10. You can get free shipping boxes too.

PJSEA,

Thank you for your suggestions. Since we ship thousands of packages a day we strive to use the services that are the most efficient for our customers. We run monthly reports on all of our shipping services to ensure that the overall customer satisfaction meets our high standards.

Jaimie A
Customer Service Manager
LiveAquaria

I agree with this. I was very dismayed to learn my package had shipped this way, although I was unaware I could change my account so it wouldn't happen again...which I will do in short order.

Speed of shipping is an important criterion for me, and I was very dissatisfied with this. UPS or Fedex would have had my shipment to me already, but I'm still waiting with an expected delivery date of the 8th!! I could understand you using this method if you offered free shipping, but for paying customers I really don't think it's up to snuff. On my order I think shipping was $13...in my opinion that's enough to justify a mainstream/fast service.

But now that I've vented I'm off to change my settings so this doesn't happen to me again.

If they meet their stated delivery date of 7 business days, it shouldn't matter one bit how it's shipped. Most catelog companies don't even allow you to pick your shipping method short of express shipping. And you have that option as well with Drs. Foster/Smith. If they don't hit their target date, then yes, you should be very upset as is your right.

Your alternative for light shipping methods is USPS. Good luck with that gentlemen.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10498989#post10498989 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ArgonDreams

Your alternative for light shipping methods is USPS. Good luck with that gentlemen.

Actually, the alternative is just purchasing from another vendor. I just placed an order on Sunday - nothing shipped on Monday and I received shipping notifications yesterday telling me my items won't arrive until Tuesday the 14th. As for distance, I'm roughly 800 miles away. This will undoubtedly be my last order with them - there are just too many other options out there that can provide better service than that. JMO

Miami13,

We certainly do not want you to go to another vendor. I'm not sure how I can help you as we quote 7 business days and that is the timeframe you are receiving your order. We have expedited services available if you need your item faster and you may choose the ground service of your choice. Please let me know how I can help.

Thank you,

Jaimie A
Customer Service Manager
Drs. Foster & Smith

I too, had this same experience with this new shipping method. In the past no matter what I ordered would arrive in 3 -4 business days. Sometimes less than three. I am seriously considering another vendor because this new method is not near as fast as previous shipping methods.

If you would like to change your shipping method, please do not hesitate to call us for other shipping options available to all of our customers. We strive to make your ordering experience 100% satisfactory from start to finish.

Joyce F.
Technical Support
Drs. Foster & Smith

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10535267#post10535267 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dfs/la2
If you would like to change your shipping method, please do not hesitate to call us for other shipping options available to all of our customers. We strive to make your ordering experience 100% satisfactory from start to finish.

Joyce F.
Technical Support
Drs. Foster & Smith

Really. Then get rid of smart post. I am now switching to another vendor for smaller orders because I will receive them faster. I placed an order on 8/9. I have received part of the order that shipped FedEx ground but the portion that went smart post still has two days to go and I only live 3-4 hours from you.

I need to place a smaller order today but if there is not a way to change it online so that it does not come smart post, without an extra charge, I will order from another vendor.

bassace,

We will be happy to change your shipping preferences on your customer file for you. Please PM your customer information to us so we may update your shipping preferences for the orders shipping standard ground. When sending your customer information to us please also include your preference of either FedEx or UPS for shipping your orders. Thank you for your comments regarding our shipping methods. Any feedback we receive is always welcomed.

Joyce F.
Technical Support
Drs. Foster & Smith

bassace,

We have updated your personal shipping preference to FedEx as you have requested. Your orders will now be shipped via FedEx ground.

Joyce F.
Technical Support
Drs. Foster & Smith

Just as follow up to my prior comment - One portion of my August 5th order has still not delivered and shows an "estimated delivery date" of Thursday the 16th. This for an item that can't weigh more than 1lb boxed up.

You'd think you'd have to go out of your way to ship something this slow....

miami13,

We apologize that your order has been taking longer than expected to arrive. If you would please PM us with your order information, we would be happy to help further look into this and work to find an appropriate resolution for this matter.

Mike S.
Tech Support
Drs. Foster and Smith

Back