Deltec Skimmer Suggestions

BONDQ

Premium Member
Hi folks, I'm looking for Deltec-brand specific suggestions from those of you who already own them.

I've sent a PM to Doug at Deltec and also placed this post in the Deltec forum, but I'm also looking for user's feedback from those of you around me.

I have a 360 total water volume reef tank. (300g display)
I would say my bio-load is medium. I have about 25 inches of fish in that water volume. I have a few LPS and SPS corals and intend to focus primarily on SPS over time.

I have the following space limitations (MAX Space)
12.5"W x 16" (front to back) x 31"H.
The skimmer must live in my sump. My water level in the sump varies from about 8"H to 11"H relative to evaporation and refilling.

It appears that the AP851 is the correct fit for me.

Given my dimensions and other tank information, would this be the best match for me?

Any comments or suggestions from Deltec owners?

Your space in the sump is limiting your selection, looks like the 851 is the only one that will fit. A 702 is just to wide, and the 902 is to tall.

Thanks Konadog.

Anyone have any experience with the 851?

Would it be the best skimmer available for the size?
That's pretty much what I'm shooting for here.

Good point Gabe. I bought my H&S that is very similar to the Deltec 851 back when the prices were much higher on the BK's. I'd sure give the BK's a hard look now. Either the 250 internal or the 300 internal.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11684290#post11684290 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bebo77
get a bubbleking... Deltec's prices have gone up while BK have gone down....

if i were to buy a skimmer now i would get the BK not a deltec...

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=bubbleking

OK, so I like the feedback, but I'm looking at the Bubble King and I'm thinking that maybe it's a bit TOO European (no offense you guys on the other side of the pond).

I'm just thinking it's going to be a more complicated set-up and that replacement parts would be more difficult to acquire. Maybe it's just me.

Another pre-requisite is that the skimmer is very quiet.

Is the Deltec 851 not a good way to go for some reason?

nothing is more quiet then a BK, and they are better skimmers... Deltec's are not quiet.. lol believe me .. i turn my 702 off at 6pm so i dont have to hear it running while i watch TV....

i mean dont get me wrong i like my 702.. but i bought it when it was $1000 cheaper then the BK... they are now the same price...

Last edited:
Hmmm, well I think I'm going to have a hard time parting with $1,800 for just the BK250.

That's a ton of money for a fish poop remover, and I'm all for ordering the best, but Wow that's a lot of money and it's not even one of the larger ones, that I'd probably really want but never be able to afford.

Any other brand suggestions for something quiet and economical. $1,200 + a feeding pump was already more than I wanted to spend for the Deltec. I'd be far more comfortable with less.

Folks who have Deltecs seem to be positive about them, but are there are other brands out there that over close performance in a similar design?

What about Euroreef or ASM. I'm not comparing these to Deltecs; I'm considering something below a Deltec now. My real question would be how much less performance would I get?

I'm hearing that BK is the top of the line and my wallet is saying "That's nice, but No". So if Deltec is noisy, what offers close performance to it, but is quiet and less expensive?

I'm looking to avoid skimmers that use high-pressure pumps like AquaC or Precision. (I want to save on energy costs and the noise)

is this for your 300g tank?

if so the 851 wouldnt be a "best bet" as my 702 is "comfortable" with my 300g

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11686912#post11686912 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bebo77
nothing is more quiet then a BK, and they are better skimmers... Deltec's are not quiet.. lol believe me .. i turn my 702 off at 6pm so i dont have to hear it running while i watch TV....

i mean dont get me wrong i like my 702.. but i bought it when it was $1000 cheaper then the BK... they are now the same price...

This must be your first post every not praising Deltec :lol: :eek:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11687759#post11687759 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bebo77
is this for your 300g tank?

if so the 851 wouldnt be a "best bet" as my 702 is "comfortable" with my 300g

Yes, it's for my 300g. I'll have to look at my sump again this weekend and see if I could situate the skimmer differently such that I can fit a larger skimmer there.

I'd really like to purchase something quiet and quality at about $1,000.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11688087#post11688087 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by roxy25
This must be your first post every not praising Deltec :lol: :eek:

Deltec has raised their prices 3 time in the last year... i think they have now "outpriced" themselves in the skimmer market...

I'm running an AP851. If you're close to Anaheim/Yorba Linda area and would like to see this skimmer in action, pm me. Or if you have any questions regarding the skimmer, give me a call. I'll pm you my #. Just trying to help a fellow reefer; nothing beats seeing the product in person.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11687364#post11687364 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BONDQ
Hmmm, well I think I'm going to have a hard time parting with $1,800 for just the BK250.

That's a ton of money for a fish poop remover, and I'm all for ordering the best, but Wow that's a lot of money and it's not even one of the larger ones, that I'd probably really want but never be able to afford.

Any other brand suggestions for something quiet and economical. $1,200 + a feeding pump was already more than I wanted to spend for the Deltec. I'd be far more comfortable with less.

Folks who have Deltecs seem to be positive about them, but are there are other brands out there that over close performance in a similar design?

What about Euroreef or ASM. I'm not comparing these to Deltecs; I'm considering something below a Deltec now. My real question would be how much less performance would I get?

I'm hearing that BK is the top of the line and my wallet is saying "That's nice, but No". So if Deltec is noisy, what offers close performance to it, but is quiet and less expensive?

I'm looking to avoid skimmers that use high-pressure pumps like AquaC or Precision. (I want to save on energy costs and the noise)
I would not recommend the BK 250 when the new BK Supermarin 250 is rated for a larger tank, takes in more air, and cost a couple hundred less.

Re: Deltec Skimmer Suggestions

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11689383#post11689383 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bigian
Hey Greg... Arent the ATB cones in his price range??
Ian, I already felt I was pushing the limits by posting in this thread since he said....
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11671645#post11671645 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BONDQ
Hi folks, I'm looking for Deltec-brand specific suggestions from those of you who already own them.
I only commented on BK because he mentioned it. I was just trying to be helpful without stepping on too many toes.

Thanks for the feedback guys, that's helpful.

Since there are many brands, let's open the discussion up.

For in-sump skimmers (regardless of brand) around $1,000 and that are quiet, what do you suggest?

As mentioned, it must be quiet and quality. My general dimension requirements are in my original post above.

OK, now that it is opened up.
ATB Medium is $1099 rated at approx 400 gallons.
but I think if you are limiting yourself to $1000, it is tough to beat the ATI Bubble Master 250 at $839. It is absolutely silent.
I have heard the ReefFlo skimmers while awesome performers are not reported as silent.

Back