Dendra does not like dosing

feeduall

Would anybody have any suggestions. It seems like every time I dose my Dendra does not open. Or only one head opens. As soon as I do a partial water change they all open. My average ph is 7.8 - 8.0 - Magnesium 1000, calcium 350, alk 8 dkh, nitrates 5.0, phosphates 0, temp 76 - 79, I am using warner calcium, strontium, soft coral trace, hard coral trace, iodide, Seachem 8.4, ESV 2 part. Everything does great when I don't dose, any suggestions.

wow, that's a whole lot of dosing!
If you are doing 2 part - you really don't need anything else (imo) but that's besides the point. Not sure what other corals you have.

The only thing I see that may affect your dendro (i'm assuming its actually a dendrophyllia and not a tubastraea) is the iodide. Unless you keep Gorgonians - not really sure if you need it (even then its a bit of a debate). I don't find dendro's to be particular about alk/calcium/nitrates unless they are at crazy levels.

The other thing you may want to change is the flow to the dendro and get more flow to the coral. This may be why they open up on water changes - the change in flow pattern from the water change.

I agree don't dose. Doing a physical check of my tanks if my coral don't look like they are going south, I leave well enough alone. If something looks off then I test dose, and do water changes to help remedy the situation.

dosing

dosing

I agree don't dose. Doing a physical check of my tanks if my coral don't look like they are going south, I leave well enough alone. If something looks off then I test dose, and do water changes to help remedy the situation.

Just trying to keep all the parameters in check. Magnesium was low as well as calcium. Ph is always low, I do moniter with the apex. Tank is fully stocked.
I always check parameters before I does anything. Would like to see a steady 8 on the ph no lower than 7.8. I think the dendras just come out when they feel like it. I had one head stay closed for 4 days and the other 4 large and 3 baby heads were open. Thought maybe the little long spine urchin that showed up in my live rock was bothering it. Did the water change and boom all open for three days. Today closed. Go figure. I do know they eat like pigs. Micra Fauna, Hi Protien Mysis and brine. All that said I also use bio pellets by eco bak and they work good for me.

Do you monitor strontium? I don't know what soft coral trace or hard coral trace are, but why? KISS. I think maybe you should re- evaluate your dosing needs and products you use and try to simplify it a bit so you know what your tank actually needs vs what is just expensive detritus.

strontium

strontium

Do you monitor strontium? I don't know what soft coral trace or hard coral trace are, but why? KISS. I think maybe you should re- evaluate your dosing needs and products you use and try to simplify it a bit so you know what your tank actually needs vs what is just expensive detritus.

No, never checked that but usually will only put in 5 mil every week as an alternitive to the calcium when low. The trace elements I have had 2 months and only put in a 2 caps since i've had it because I know this gets replenshed when I do water changes.

As a rule of thumb, I never dose if you either can't or don't measure it. May cause more harm than good.

Back