Depth for frag tank?

SCC315

In Memoriam
Looking to set up a 2x4 or 4x4 frag tank the depth in these are only about 8 inches deep....would there be any problem to having something so shallow? I will be keeping lights up higher so nothing gets burned and will be keep substrate on the bottom...just making sure the depth of the tank is okay, mostly keeping chalices, zoanthids and monti and such nothing that gets really tall. Thanks!

You should be good as long as nothing gets really tall, I've grown them in that depth before with no issues. Just keep in mind that the rack you use for the plugs will raise them up about 2" or so.

I'm setting up the same sort of tank, 2x4 foot very shallow. Using the same hydroponic flood table that BRS is selling. Just plan on keeping lights high.

If you are planning on using the frag tank for small frags to sell it is one thing, but if you are looking to grow larger frags, then IMO " it is too short. You are going to loose a minimum of 1 to 2" " from the top of the glass to the overflow box, then you will loose 2" with your frag rack. that's leaves you with 4 to 5" to grow frags. Have an extra 2 to 4" would be nice to have. You just hate to get it all up and running then in a few months, you wish you would have went higher.

If you are planning on using the frag tank for small frags to sell it is one thing, but if you are looking to grow larger frags, then IMO " it is too short. You are going to loose a minimum of 1 to 2" " from the top of the glass to the overflow box, then you will loose 2" with your frag rack. that's leaves you with 4 to 5" to grow frags. Have an extra 2 to 4" would be nice to have. You just hate to get it all up and running then in a few months, you wish you would have went higher.

+1
You can always use a rack or shelf to raise the frags, the extra depth will also add water volume. I prefer 10-12". But if your just healing 1-2" grams before moving them on, shallow is fine. But if your want to from some size, you'll want the depth

Back