Derrick's 150g rebuild

derrick80f

Hi all, I had a 150g set up a few years ago. I kept coral, various types of fish, including seahorses, and a lot of other misc things. I am in the process of setting the tank up again. Tank is 48" x 24" deep x 32" high. I am running a reef-breeders light, neptune apex systems, and plan on buying two new QP-16 wavemaker flow pumps because that's what I used before. I also have to purchase a new protein skimmer. The following is what I'm working with so far:
20220824_202010.jpg
20220824_201930.jpg
20220824_202218.jpg
20220824_203731.jpg
as you can see I have quite a bit of rock going in, as well as the tonga branches.... and my sand (120 lbs white aragalive) is coming tomorrow.
I am unsure of how I am going to set it up. I have wanted a lionfish since I started with marine tanks, but unsure due to the lack of available tank mates. I considered just setting it up as it was before. Or maybe just doing a puffer tank, because I enjoy them. Anyway, any thoughts?

You could keep multiple lionfish together. Neither they or most puffers are endangered but because lionfish are an invasive plague in Florida, I would keep those.

Nice tank! I agree you could keep puffers and lions together. Honestly most of your larger fish should be fine, large angels, tangs, etc…

Looks good. I’d be careful with the trigger with the clowns. Not sure how long that may last as the trigger can be quite aggressive

Ok thanks for that. Wouldn't they be ok as long as I keep him well fed? Or is it just an aggressive fish overall? Also, what are good fish to mix with the trigger?

Overall size and aggression is part of it, the trigger will get about a foot. You generally would want a fish of comparable size and likely similar aggression

Yes, the store owner where I bought the trigger told me they get big, but not in a 150 gallon.. don't fish normally grow to fit their environment/tank size?

To answer your question, fish will grow to a certain size in a given tank, but they still can become too big and it denies them the room they need.

To answer your question, fish will grow to a certain size in a given tank, but they still can become too big and it denies them the room they need.
Yeah, I use to keep koi ponds, and I remember the fish never outgrew their pond size, but thats crazy. Anyway thanks for sharing the pic of your babies

Correct. They’re growth will slow but it’s always recommended they have appropriate living conditions so it’s not “cruel” to them.

I personally think it’s a myth that will only grow to a certain size according to the amount of space you provide. A healthy well fed fish is going to grow. It may slow down their growth some. Just my opinion.

Ok, it has been over 5 weeks since I set up my tank and I have not done a water change. At all. I tested everything for the first time this morning and all parameters are perfect. Since losing the trigger, I added a scopas tang, and then just the other day a powder blue. The scopas is larger than the powder blue and was a bully for the first day but they are swimming fine together now.
20220915_070034.jpg
20221004_214802.jpg

Back