Design help and options for new 150 gal Reef Tank

tonyc@alpine

I am researching options and best practices on designing a new 60"x24"x24" reef tank. I have not previously had a tank of any kind. The design must incorporate an absolutely quiet overall system. I want redundant overflows for safety purposes. Ive been reading threads on different types of overflows. I want mine inside the tank as i dont have space behind tank. Can I use the C2C method without going thru the back of the tank and still draining strait down through the bottom? I am looking for help on what would work best before I order a new custom tank. Any comments and help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

TonyC Phoenix AZ

I think the way you describe the overflow you want will take up too much space in the tank. If you have a C2C and still have the drains go thru the bottom, it sound like a lot of the rear of the tank will be overflow. If you must go thru the bottom, I say stick to a regular overflow and maybe do 2 of them. Have you checked the bean overflow? I used it and it's ninja quiet.

The only requirement for the bean is 3 seperate holes for 3 separate drains. A C2C is best for skimming efficiency, but I've seen people use regular reefready tanks with 2 overflows and adapt it to run the bean. If each overflow has 2 drains, run one overflow with the full siphon and durso, and the other drain for emergency and return.

How wide would you design your overflow if the tank is 60" wide. Is the wider the better? Or when its in the tank you dont want to take up too much room. Sorry if my question seems dumb, this is my first tank and I'm trying to read and learn as much as possible before ordering anything and then changing my design.

TC

Personly I like my drains to take up as little room as possible. That leaves more room for rocks and critters. I would do a C2C overflow and have the drains exit the back of the tank. Check out bean' drain thread. Lots of info and pics of ways people have set up their tanks with it.

Back