Design my overflow?

JuggZaPoppiN

So after reading through numerous posts, I'm now lost on what kind of overflow I should do on my 125 gallon tank. I plan on having soft coals, anemone's and a few fish. Hopefully.
I plan on drilling the bottom of my tank, but not sure what route I want to take.

Originally, I was going to do 2 overfills with 2 pipes each. Drain and return for each. But on further reading that isn't the safest way, or very quiet.

This is where your help comes in. Should I do 1 overflow, 2 overflows? How many holes and what is the best type of overflow for my setup.
Thank you all :beer:

2 or 3 drains would work. 1 primary and 1 or 2 emergency drains are good. Also depends on the sIze of the drain. And how much flow you want through them.
I did two 1 1/2 inch return lines and going to put the returns over the top in my 125. Haven't set it up to see how it works yet though
Just make sure the bottom is not tempered. Usually the bottom pane of glass is tempered. I drilled the back panel without a problem.

I was definitely thinking about the bean animal overflow coming up through the bottom of my tank. Only thing is I don't want the returns going up the back of tank.
Not sure if its safe to drill more holes for the returns.

Also I checked and checked over and over. From what I can tell the glass on the bottom is not tempered.

Why don't you want them going up the back? You will probably have wires there anyways.

Why would you want to use up valuable real estate on the bottom of the tank when you could use that space for rockwork or sand?

Just saying.

I guess for the most part I just didn't want to see all the pipes going down the back of the tank.
I was going to get a black overflow box for inside the tank.

Do you guys recommend me to drill 4 holes in the bottom covered by 1 internal overflow box. 3 holes for bean animal overflow and 1 for return.
Or should I do just 3 holes. 2 for dorso overflow and 1 for return.

Last edited:
I normally paint the back of my tanks so I don't see stuff. While I do see the pipes in my overflow box, I prefer to check for snails in the plumbing rather than hiding it and wonder whats happening. Plus, over time the coralline algae covers most of the box so it all blends together.

Either way I would do the three for the BeanAnimal and then run the return as a fourth or over the top.

If you are going to buy an overflow box, avoid those with teeth. The teeth cut down on surface skimming which is the entire purpose of the box. They don't keep snails or fish out which is their supposed purpose so over all teeth do more harm than good.

Good luck.

Sure. I have an internal box running almost the full length of the tank. Two holes in the back of the tank empty into an external box which houses the stand pipes for the BeanAnimal drains. The return is over the back.

January 2015 FTS:

Build Thread. The best pictures of the external box are at the bottom of page 18. The installation of the internal box and the initial setup is on page 20.

careful drilling the bottom of the tank. most all tanks have tempered glass bottoms.

I know, it kinda scares me. I did the tempered glass test with a laptop and polarized glasses numerous times and it seems the bottom is not tempered. Even though everything tells me it is.

Back