Desperately need help with foxface.

vanmo92

This morning when the lights came on in my tank I notice that my Foxface is is not doing to well at all. He was swimming around the tank just going with the flow from the powerheads, whereas normally he would not be phased by the current. He was swimming around crashing into things. As of right now he has assumed the position of laying (though sill upright) on top of a powerhead. He is breathing pretty hard. I did recently stir up the tank a lot while moving some rocks around, although that was 2 days ago and he was fine yesterday. All of the other fish in the tank (6-line, 2 clowns, and yellow tang) are acting completely normal. When I fed the tank all the fish ate, except the foxface, who didn't even move from his perch atop the powerhead. The food just went right by him.
What should I do?!?!
I really need help with this!
Thanks.

I will be testing the water shortly and posting the results here as soon as I get them. Although I tend to think that if something was wrong with the water the rest of the inhabitants would be affected.

He has moved now. He swam a bit, but then got caught in the current again and was getting thrown around a lot. So I turned off all the pumps to prevent him getting hurt by being thrown into the rocks or something. He seems to be able to keep himself right-side-up. However either his tail is extra buoyant, or his head is extra dense, he does have some difficulty staying in the normal position, it looks like his tail just keeps wanting to float.

He has moved now. He swam a bit, but then got caught in the current again and was getting thrown around a lot. So I turned off all the pumps to prevent him getting hurt by being thrown into the rocks or something. He seems to be able to keep himself right-side-up. However either his tail is extra buoyant, or his head is extra dense, he does have some difficulty staying in the normal position, it looks like his tail just keeps wanting to float.

How long have you had the fish? Notice anything that looks funny on the fish? I've had a Foxface for almost 3 years with no issues.

All the tests came back normal. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, pH 8.1-8.3. Normal salinity. All the others are still doing fine. But now the foxface is just kinda floating. Help!

I have had him for about 3 years also. THere are a few spots on him were it looks like he is missing some scales. Not to many scales are missing, and I am not even sure if those spots are new. That and he is looking a bit skinny, which is weird because he has always been pretty plump fish. Thats about it.

IMG_3085.jpg

what's your alkalinity: s/b 8.9-9.3.
ALso---check the calibration on your salinity meter, and crosscheck your thermometer!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15499605#post15499605 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r
what's your alkalinity: s/b 8.9-9.3.
ALso---check the calibration on your salinity meter, and crosscheck your thermometer!

I have never checked alkalinity and have no way of doing so unfortunately. Temp is good. Thermometer is good(tested temp w/ 2 thermometers). Salinity might actually be a bit low. Will raise it over the course of a few hours or the day.

Back