diatoms and water temp

jacksonpt

I've been going back and forth with diatoms for the last month or so. Not bad, just unattractive in a couple of places on the sand where flow is a bit low. I came home from work today to find them covering the sand bed, most of the rock work and a few places of exposed coral skeleton.

I also found out my water temp was off the charts high - looks as though my heater got stuck on *sigh*, which I'm assuming is the cause of the sudden bloom.

Does it make sense that the warmer temps caused (or at least contributed to) the bloom? If so, what's the coolest I can run my mixed reef and still have everyone be happy. Typically my tank is between 78-80.

My params have been testing pretty well over the last few months with alk/ca a bit off, but the other vitals testing at 0ppm. I'll be doing this week's water change/test after my kids go to bed, but I'm not expecting anything different.

in a new tank diatoms is something to expect... i would say that for the 1st year you could get off and on outbreaks of diatoms... everything is just getting use to everything.. keep up with the water changes and everything should be good to go.. temps between 78-80 are good temps to keep, not sure if it adds to the addition of the diatoms though.. hope this helps.

I know they are part of the deal - I've been in this hobby long enough to know that diatoms and I are going to have a long standing relationship. However, they are to the point where they are smothering a couple of my corals, most notably my bubble coral. The unsightlyness I can deal with, it's the threat to corals that worries me.

And for some reason, the outbreaks are very clearly worse the day AFTER a water change. I order a new RO membrane in addition to changing out the filters and DI resin, so hopefully that will help.

I for one can attest that warm temps does not cause more diatoms. My cold/rainy season temp is between 78-84F, and my summer temp ranges from 84-88F - MINIMAL DIATOMS. I do not have a chiller and obviously no need for a heater.

Just ran by weekly battery of water tests - not as clean as I had assumed. Those new filters can't get here soon enough!

I'm sure the dirty water is the problem.

Back