Diatoms, Cyano, or Dinos?

ecophilia

Hi guys,

My tank has been up since Feb 1st, and has gone through its cycle normally. I only use RODI, but in the beginning I confess to having used distilled water. I have zero nitrates, but last week I had what I thought was a second diatom bloom (a dusting of brown on my sandbed). My phosphate has consistently been 0.25 ppm, so three days ago I put a bag of Seachem Phosban in there - it seems to be working. The dusting of brown on my sandbed is gone.

The last few days I have been noticing some transparent strings around the tank, maybe 3 strings total in my 13.5g fluval, and I thought they were snail goo. My cerith snails have been laying eggs around, on the glass and on the rock.

Yesterday I noticed what looks like little brown hairs on the rocks, some with bubbles hanging onto them. They aren't long, maybe 1mm, and they aren't in a mat - they're just all over the place. I can't blow them off the rocks with my turkey baster & they don't look like snot. Like the noob that I am, I'm in a half panic thinking that I have dinos. This morning when I woke up, I also noticed that the glass and the wall of my tank are covered with copepods.

Please take a look at my photos and tell me what you think?

(I have also attached a photo that shows some purple epoxy with some brown spots on it that I am curious about , any suggestions on what that could be?

Attachments

• IMG_2306.JPG.jpg
    IMG_2306.JPG.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2312.JPG.jpg
    IMG_2312.JPG.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2307.JPG.jpg
    IMG_2307.JPG.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2308.JPG.jpg
    IMG_2308.JPG.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 0
Just looks like a bit of normal green hair algae..
Air bubbles are nitrogen gas,etc.. escaping from the rock which is part of the denitrification process..

And copepods are beneficial..

All I see there is 100% normal and expected.. on a new tank..
Not a single thing to freak out about there..

In time as the tank matures and you just keep working on keeping nitrates/phosphates low and have a normal clean up crew then it should pass and not be an issue at all..

Again.. totally normal.. no reason at all to freak out..
Have fun.. enjoy the tank..
The "uglies" will pass with time and proper normal maintenance/care..

Just looks like a bit of normal green hair algae..
Air bubbles are nitrogen gas,etc.. escaping from the rock which is part of the denitrification process..

And copepods are beneficial..

All I see there is 100% normal and expected.. on a new tank..
Not a single thing to freak out about there..

In time as the tank matures and you just keep working on keeping nitrates/phosphates low and have a normal clean up crew then it should pass and not be an issue at all..

Again.. totally normal.. no reason at all to freak out..
Have fun.. enjoy the tank..
The "uglies" will pass with time and proper normal maintenance/care..

Thank you!!! I appreciate the cool, calming effect of your post. I just sit and stare at my tank for hours, even if all it has is two egg-laying ceriths and a stomatella... So every little thing that happens, I react with much enthusiasm and concern :p

I love my copepods, I read somewhere that if there were dinos in the tank, copepods like dinos for dinner!

Thanks again, McGyvr!

Add a couple Astraea or Trochus snails in there and they should make quick work of it too..
Whatever you can get locally..
Just gives you more to watch too :thumbsup:

Back