Diatoms

Chitownpw

I have an established reef, but just changed lighting and flow. Now using two radion G5s and two G3's and a couple of maxspect gyres. Since changing, I have been suffering from diatom blooms but coral have been really happy. Looking for suggestions on easy management of diatoms.

Tank vid https://youtu.be/OlZnNHXR4-M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Often they just go away untreated. They tend to indicate excess silica. I want to say that some phosphate media also sucks up silica, so you night try that. If you want a natural solution, add a sponge, which also like silica.

Often they just go away untreated. They tend to indicate excess silica. I want to say that some phosphate media also sucks up silica, so you night try that. If you want a natural solution, add a sponge, which also like silica.

i cant confirm anything this person said but if you want to soak up Silica, then Chemi pure elite is the answer

I just had a similar issue. i moved something around for fragging then got a brown diatom bloom. Phosphate levels went up a bit. I did two 15% water changes in a week and replaced all my filter media with fresh. When i did my water changes i tried to vacuum up as much of the brown as i could. I was prepared to do another water change but so far that seems to have taken care of it.

Back