Diatoms

Maybe this is an absurd question but I'll take the risk. Once a fish consumes live diatoms will they be dead by the time it exits the fishes digestive system?

Someone has posed to me that a saltwater fish tank only can have zero diatoms if not introduced in live sand and rock. It you methylene blue the newly acquired fish killing free floating diatoms this would be one way to eradicate them before introducing them into the tank, however a fish intestine is really short.

Again we're talking about a fish only system cycled with ammonia & bacteria. Is it possible to totally evade diatoms?

Too late but, if you cycle your tank with the lights off you can avoid algae issues. At this point I'd recommend reproducing snails and a bristle tooth tang, like a Tomini, which eats detritus and sand bed (and rock) algae.

Hi Michael. I’d like to update you with my experience on diatoms. After cycling my tank with bacteria and placement of two fish there was zero diatoms. Enter the two dwarf hermit crabs with there shells and the diatoms were introduced! So my take on this is by treating fish with methylene blue before putting the fish in it stops it from entering. Once you put inverts in it’s all over. Kindly - Mary

Hey Mary! That's very interesting. I always found it ironic that algae is often introduced on the backs of the algae-eaters!

Back