Did I overkill on flow?

coogarts

I just switched out two horrendous Powersweeps for two MJ 1200's (Yeah!) on my 20g. But, and maybe this is because I'm not used to so much flow, seeing those in action has me slightly hesitant as to whether I overdid it or not.

Is this adequate, or too much?

what are you keeping. That is about 30X trnover which will be good for SPS in a 20g. If you look at the MJ900 it is only using 8.5w compared to 20w on the 1200 and only 65 more GPH. I think you will be fine just make sure you are not blasting corals with the flow from the 1200. Random flow is better by bouncing it off the glass and corners and things. HTH

Doug

Some softies such as leathers like lots of flow. I would have went with MJ900s.
MJ1200 = 295 GPH 20W
MJ900 = 230 GPH 8.5W

I think what I'll do is keep one MJ 1200 in the tank for surface agitation, and then buy either an MJ 600 or MJ 900 and place it lower in the tank.

We have a 20 gal. softie tank with a Bakpak2, powerfilter and two Maxijet 400's using a wavemaker and get plenty of flow (the Bakpak has a 1200).

you really can't count the backpak as much for flow as a similarly sized PH run for movement.

i have a bakpak2r, and its not much flow compared to any of my other PH's...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7009529#post7009529 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by horkn
you really can't count the backpak as much for flow as a similarly sized PH run for movement.

i have a bakpak2r, and its not much flow compared to any of my other PH's...

eh.. true when it comes to Current. But does count when it comes to Turn over.

Back