Difference beween lps and sps

Status
Not open for further replies.

spscoral

What is the exact difference between an lps coral and a spscoral.

Thanks

------------------
I want weird stuff for my reef.
Email me if you have any.

Well to put it in a nutshell an LPS is a large polyp scleractinian(stony coral) like bubbles,elegance,trumpet,galaxy,flowerpot,etc
SPS are small polyp stony corals like Acropora, Seriatopora,Stylophora,pavona,Hydnophora,Porites,Pocillopora, etc
they are charactorized by prominent branching calcerous skeletons covered with very small polyps

------------------
Reef as though your life depended on it, yours does'nt but the sea's does.........Doug ReefCentral/ReefTank moderator

It's just a distinction created by the commercial aspect of this hobby, methinks. I like to imagine the distinguishing characteristic as the ability to ingest larger-than-planktonic morsels.

<Another factor in differentiating perhaps concerns propagation approaches. If you can just snap or hack off a frag and it's instantly viable, it's probably sps.>

Hi

Biologically, there is no difference. There is a complete gradient of polyp sizes from smallest to largest.

As Horge says this artificial distinction was probably started in the commercial ends of the hobby.

Cheers, Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back