Different Lighting Schedule from Tank to Tank

sarahluccia

Hey all, I'm brand new to forums, less new to reefing.

I got to meet up w my former Marine Science teacher and trade a wrasse for some soft coral today, which was totally cool and the whole thing was super pleasant.
The only unfortunate thing is my teacher is a total madman and his lights turn on at like 10pm, and turn off in the morning- his night cycle is during the normal day.
My tank super isn't. My lights turn on at 8:00am and turn off at 8:00 pm. Since our day and night cycles are so drastically different, I was wondering how long it'd take for the soft corals I got (Kenya Tree and GSPs) to get used to my light cycle, and if this big change would hurt/affect them at all.

The corals are out and open right now, my tank is about 10 mo. old, and my alkalinity is pretty different from his (though his was a little sickly low if I am honest) but those are the only things sticking out worth mentioning.
I wanted to ask my teacher, but it's 10:40pm so that feels rude, and I usually feel dumb asking him questions like that lol
Thanks in advance

Lighting schedules can be changed, doubt if it makes that much difference.
Alkalinity could be a problem depending on the difference.

His alkalinity was 5.5, I'm a solid 7

They're acting "normal", now- though the GSP has been opened up since about 10pm last night and its 1:21 pm right now.
I acclimated and dipped the corals in old tank water + coral dip, and my water levels haven't changed dangerously. I can test again and provide details if needed.

I am just worried, I don't want them dying on me because they're pretty nice corals:headwally:

It doesnt matter what time your light cycle is as long as there is enough provided light for a long enough period of time each day.

After I had a lighting fixture start a fire on my 125 SPS tank just minutes as I was about to step out the door and go to work I went to having my lights on only when I was home! This change was made immediately with no acclimitation, nothing seemed to stress out any coral wise and the fish quickly adjusted to the new feeding times in just a few days.

GSP and Kenya Trees are pretty robust corals. They will handle just about anything you throw their way as long as your somewhere's close to reasonable parameters.

Back