Different type of play sand for sand bottom

cvrle1

When I had my old aquarium going 10 years ago, I used play sand for my DSB. I know, I know, it is full of silica, shouldnt be used and so on, but I still did it, and it worked out more or less well for 3 years that I had tank up and running. I know I wasnt the only one, as I read from others back then that they used it as well with good results (depending how you classify good haha)

Since I am slowly planning a bigger build, I was looking around for possible different alternatives to aragonite sand for sea bed. This time I will definitely not use silica play sand, but it got me looking more into play sands in general. Stumbled on the company called Sandtastik that has white play sand, that contains no silica, no quartz, no asbestos and is certified as non toxic.

Main reason why play sand was frowned upon was because of silica, but if it is truly silica free, could this be good and cheaper alternative to aragonite? 100lb bag goes for $80 (from official site). 25lbs bag goes for a bit more than $16 (Walmart of all places)

Price for aragonite looks to be about $1 a lbs, so this is definitely cheaper.

https://www.sandtastik.com/100-sand/101-white-play-sand
https://www.amazon.com/SANDTASTIK-WHITE-PLAY-SAND-25LB/dp/B077GMCSKN
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sandtastik-White-Play-Sand/17452676

WCFBcn2.jpg

Maybe you'll get someone coming along that's used it, otherwise it's hard for us to do anything other than say "try it and see." Your theory is fine, it used to be very common to use aragonite play sand from big box retailers (a popular brand back in the day was Southdown). Contamination is a potential issue, and grain size - sometimes, play sand is so fine it just makes a mess and won't stay put in a high flow tank.

I don't know if I'm completely convinced that silica-based sand is bad. I know the theory behind why it's bad, I just don't know if there's ever been hard evidence to support the theory. Now that Triton and other brands are offering such extensive testing, it would be interesting to run a tank with silica sand and send a sample off to see if any of the silica actually makes it into the water.

While there are likely alternatives to the typical sand used in our tanks the cost difference IMO isn't enough to justify even wasting time attempting to source/use something else..

Pictures of that show its very fine/sugar sand which SUCKS if you want any sort of decent flow in your tank.. No way I would use that stuff just based on grain size alone..

IMO the grain size of the sand will be the main factor. Does it State was grain sizes it includes/consists of?

Hello, i was able to find grain size for 2 different types of sand they have:

Sparkling White Play Sand:
Grain Size 0.08 - 0.4 mm

Therapy Play Sand:
0.3 - 0.85 mm

I would think that Sparkling White is way too fine.
Therapy may be okish, as Caribsea Aragamax is 0.5 - 1.2mm.

Thanks

Edit: I am trying to find out what grain size was Southdown tropical play sand that was extremely popular years ago. It was Aragonite play sand that Home Depot was selling for $6 for 50lbs that everyone was snagging left and right.

Last edited:
IAfter knowing that info about grain size, it would THEN depend on the tank. Anything with moderate flow will blow it around and make you go crazy.

I prefer larger sizes, like 2mm-3mm, and then I very VERY lightly sprinkle in some smaller sizes to blend in.

Back