Difficult and Special Care Species List (help me edit please!)

Peter Eichler

Didn't want to clutter up the sticky with this... I've completed the fish portion of the list and would appreciate people helping me find typos. Also, I'm curious how people feel about the new format.

If you feel there are any omissions or fish you don't think has a good reason to be on the list you can bring that up as well, but would prefer you use the sticky for that discussion.

Thanks,
Peter

Fish To Be Avoided::Fish that have incredibly low survivability in aquaria or are totally unsuitable for home aquaria

Moorish Idol (Zanclus cornutus): A few success stories, but miniscule amounts live long, difficult feeder, mystery deaths, and even when accepting prepared foods often slowly starve

Rock Beauty Angelfish (Holacanthus tricolor): Nearly impossible to meet the dietary needs in home aquaria

Multi-Barred Angelfish (Centropyge multifasciatus): They don't adapt to aquarium life well, rarely eat, and are very secretive, though not fatal, they also seem particularly prone to Lymphocystis

Venustus Angelfish (Centropyge venustus): See the Multi-Barred Angelfish above

Butterflyfishes (Chaetodon spp.): Many problem feeders in the group and most are corallivore that are almost guaranteed to starve to death in aquaria, do a lot of research before purchasing any butterflyfish

Clown Tang (Acanthurus lineatus): VERY ich prone and a finicky eater, horrible survival rates, when they do live they are terribly aggressive and often take over a tank

Twinspot Goby (Signogobius ocellatus): Terrible survival rates in captivity, rarely accept prepared foods or survive long even when they do

Clown Sweetlips (Plectorhinchus chaetodonoides): Difficult feeders and rarely adapt to aquarium life, should you manage to get one to live they get quite large

Oriental Sweetlips (Plectorhinchus orientalis): See Clown Sweetlips, in general this can be repeated for most species in the genus Diagramma and Plectorhinchus

Pinnatus Batfish (Platax pinnatus): Gorgeous fish when young, very very few success stories, diet, disease, and stress from aquarium life are big issues

Tiger Tiera Batfish (Platax batavianus): See Pinnatus Batfish above

Orange Spotted Filefish (Oxymonacanthus longirostris): Specialized coral polyp feeder and almost never accepts prepared foods

Ribbon Eel (Rhinomuraena quaesita): Rarely eat in captivity and are excellent escape artists

Snake Eels & Garden Eels (various genera): Difficult feeders that require specialty tanks

Cleaner Wrasses (Labroides spp.): Specialized parasite feeders that rarely live long in captivity, leave them in the ocean where they can do their job

Tamarin Wrasses (Anampses spp.): Very poor shippers and need tanks with their special needs in mind, even then they often starve to death, their best chance is often a large established reef aquarium with large amounts of live rock, peaceful fish, and something to prevent them from jumping out

Leopard Wrasses (Macropharyngodon spp.): See Tamarin Wrasses above, but there are more success stories, both these and the Anampses are boderline being in this area of the list and the next section

Pencil Wrasses (Pseodojuloides spp.): Very sensitive, they almost always die in transit so you don't see them very often if ever in the trade

Parrotfishes (Family Scaridae): Very specialized feeders on mostly dead (some live) coral skeletons and the algae and organisms associated with them, they adapt poorly to aquarium life in almost all regards

Tilefishes (Family Malacanthidae): VERY timid and must be kept in a covered aquarium with lots of space and docile tankmates, in general they just don't adapt to aquarium life

Cartilaginous Fishes (Sharks, Rays, Skates) With very few exceptions, unless you own a massive aquarium that is several hundred gallons stay away

Grunts (Family Haemulidae): Rarely adapt well to aquarium life and should probably only be considered in a large species tank

Jacks (Family Carangidae): See Grunts above

Drums (Family Sciaenidae): Poor shippers, being very shy and fragile they rarely live long after being collected

Trumpetfish (Aulostomus spp.): Too large and too specialized for 99.9% of the aquarists out there, also poor shippers

Remoras (Family Echeneidae): Unless you have a large Shark or Whale in your backyard oceanarium it's probably best to stay away

Leopard Blenny (Exallias brevis): Specialized coral feeders that rarely live long in captivity

Chambered Nautilus (Nautilus pompilius): Though technically not a fish, there are a plethora of reasons to leave them in the ocean, simply not suited for typical aquarium life

Fish Best Left For Experienced Or Knowledgable Hobbyists:Finicky nature, parasite prone, specialty feeders, require specialty tanks, or threatened species

Anthias (family Anthiinae): Require a good amount of swimming room, peaceful tankmates, and frequent feedings, often unhealthy and starving by the time they make it to dealers tanks, some almost require special tanks with their needs in mind and others often refuse to eat and starve quickly in aquaria, do plenty of research before purchasing any Anthias

Teira Batfish (Platax teira): Can be very hardy once acclimated but there can be problems feeding, they stress easily, are disease prone, and will also outgrow most aquaria

Majestic, Blueface(Pomacanthus Euxiphipops spp.): Can be hardy once acclimated to aquarium life and eating well, that's often easier said than done though, larger juvenilles are often the best way to go with these fish as tiny specimens are quite fragile and large specimens have the hardest time adapting to aquarium life, this is true for many large angelfish

Regal Angelfish (Pygoplites diacanthus): A problem feeder, specimens from the Philippines and Indonesia rarely make it long in captivity, Red Sea Specimens tend to be hardier and more willing to accept prepared foods partially due to collection and holding techniques, the more recent trend to keep this fish in reef aquariums helps with survivability

Bandit Angelfish (Holacanthus arcuatus aka Apolemichthys arcuatus): Very similar to the Rock Beauty above but with a much smaller sample, at their price you'll probably do your research, if you don't you'll most likely learn an expensive lesson

Bicolor Angelfish (Centropyge bicolor): Concerns with drugs used in collection and frequent unwillingness to accept prepared foods, also one of the more common coral nippers

Heralds's or Yellow Angelfish (Centropyge heraldi): Often collected with the use of drugs, be very wary of newly collected specimens, this can be true with many Centropyge but seems especially problematic here

Lemonpeel Angelfish (Centropyge flavissima): See Herald's angelfish above

Potter's Angelfish (Centropyge potteri): Mixed results with this one with a lot of mystery deaths early in captivity, if they've been eating and active at the fish store for a few weeks they usually end up being quite hardy

Golden Pygmy Angelfish (Centropyge aurantius): Adapts poorly to aquarium life, only attempt if a healthy specimen is found and you have a larger reef aquarium with a lot of rock to graze on and less boisterous fish

Swallowtail Angelfishes (Genicanthus spp.): Can be hardy once acclimated, but lots of problem specimens due to the depths they are collected at, take extra special care in examining and observing them before purchase

Angelfish in General (Centropyge, Chaetodontoplus, Apolemichthys, etc. spp.): Just a general note, Angelfish are among the more common fish collected using cyanide, so paying particularly close attention to their behavior and appearance before purchase is advised

Butterflyfishes (Chaetodon spp.): Very few are suited for a reef tank or a beginner hobbyist, do your research

Copperband Butterflyfish (Chelmon rostratus): Like the Regal Angelfish, this one has gone from nearly impossible to having some success with the popularity of them being kept in reef tanks, even then, longevity seems questionable

Garibaldi Damselfish (Hypsypops rubicunda): Typically will not do well longtern in tropical conditions, if they do live long that cute little fish turns into a large territotial nightmare, protected in certain areas

Trunkfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish (various genera): Most are rather sensitive and can release toxins when stressed or dying

Clown/Gumdrop Gobies (Gobiodon spp.): Poor shipper, once established can be a good surviver with less boisterous fish, will nip "SPS" corals

Catalina gobies (Lythrypnus dalli): Not a tropical species and will not live long in the temperature of the average marine aquarium

Mandarin "Gobies" and Scooter "Blennies" aka Dragonets (family Callionymidae): Require large amounts of live food, quite often starve to death, providing larger tanks (50+ gallons) with large amounts of live rock and little competition for food has proved successful, do not treat with copper medications

Radiata Lionfish (Pterois radiata): Tough to acclimate to aquarium life and foods, more sensitive than others in the genus

Fu manchu Lionfish & Dwarf Zebra Lionfish (Dendrochirus spp.): All the dwarf Lions require tanks with their needs in mind, these two also seem very sensitive, very shy, are poor shippers, and can be particularly difficult to ween onto aquarium foods

Anglerfishes and Frogfishes (Order Lophiiformes/Antennariiformes): Most get very large and can consume fish nearly their own size, often will only consume live foods which is troublesome since feeder fish are rarely nutritious enough longtern

Achilles, Powder Brown, Powder Blue, and Gold Rim Tangs (Acanthurus spp.): Ich prone and fairly sensitive to water conditions, they also require large amounts of swimming room, very risky to consider one without quarantine

Bristletooth Tangs (Ctenochaetus spp.): Ich prone, some of the hardier tangs once established but can starve when detritus and algae aren't available in decent supply so overly "clean" aquariums are not a good choice, the Chevron is probably the least hardy of the genus and can be particularly difficult

Seahorses, Seadragons, Pipefish (Family Syngnathidae): Need quiet species tanks and large quantities of nutritious live food, wild caught specimens ship poorly and have high mortality rates, tank raised seahorses are often already accepting prepared foods and are much better candidates for aquarium life, they still need a tank with their needs in mind though

Hawkfishes ( Family Cirrhitidae): Hardy fish but they are notorious jumpers, be very careful with ornamental shrimp, crabs, and small fish

Porcupine Pufferfish (Family Diodontidae): Can be hardy but some are very disease and parasite prone, most require large fish only aquariums

Fairy and Flasher Wrasses (Paracheilinus and Cirrilabrus spp.): Require peaceful tankmates and do best in reef aquariums, they stress easily and the first few weeks in captivity will often make or break their longevity, known jumpers

Lawnmower Blenny (Salarias fasciatus): Will sometimes not accept prepared foods and will starve to death in tanks without a natural algae food source

Diamond, Golden Head, Sleeper Gobies (Valenciennea spp.): Sometimes starve to death even when accepting prepared foods, tanks with large sandbeds containing lots of food will help as will frequent feedings when they will eat, mated pairs may help as well

Courtjester/Rainford's and Hector's Goby (Amblygobius spp.): Often will not accept prepared foods, need established tanks with peaceful fish and a fine sandbed full of life

Fourline Cleaner Wrasse (Larabicus quadrilineatus): A cleaner when small, but are coralivores as they enter adulthood so are not good reef aquarium inhabitants, some of the Tubelip Wrasses are know for a similar behavior and rarely live long in captivity

Cephalopods, Octopi, Cuttlefish, Squid (Class Cephalopoda): Not fish, but including them here because of their intelligence compared to the dumb lumps of goo that are most invertebrates, the Nautilus from above is in this group as well, these must have species tanks and require a lot of research before attempting them

Fish That Require Huge Aquariums (200 gallons or more):

Cartilaginous Fishes (Sharks, Rays, Skates): Require tanks much larger than 200 gal. and should just be left out of home aquaria, Nurse sharks can grow to 14ft. long!, repeating this one so it sinks in

Groupers & Seabass (various genera): Especially take note of the cute little Panther Groupers commonly offered in the trade as they can attain over 2' in length

Snappers (Family Lutjanidae): Those little Red Emperor Snappers seen in the trade get over 3' long

Unicorn Tangs (Naso spp.): They will even outgrow common size aquariums such as 125 gal. and 180 gal.

Moray Eels (Family Muraenidae): Do your research as many are not suitable for home aquariums

Squirrel and Soldierfish (Family Holocentridae): Some of these are borderline, do your research

Batfish and Spadefish (Family Ephippidae): Probably best left to public aquaria

Twinspot Wrasse (Coris aygula): Take special note of this one as they're often offered as small attractive juveniles, they get very large and very mean, up to 4' long

Red Coris Wrasse (Coris gaimard & Coris frerei): Sold as tiny juvenilles they can grow up to be 2' beasts, beware the size of most Coris wrasses, though the common Yellow Coris Wrasse is actually a smaller fish from not in the genus Coris but belonging to the genus Halichoeres

Dragon Wrasse (Novaculichthys taeniourus): Offered as very small juvenilles they grow to be about a foot long and are known to flip aquarium decorations and rocks when adults

Flounder (Paralichthys spp.): Rarely suitable for aquarium life, also becoming increasingly rare due to overfishing as a food fish

Tassled filefish (Chaetoderma pencilligera): Often offered when cute and tiny but grow quite large

Angelfish: When purchasing any angelfish that isn't Centropyge be sure to check their ultimate size, take special note of the French, Gray, Blue, and Queen which are often offered as small juvenilles ang will outgrow most aquariums

Triggerfish: Most will be fine in large aquariums of around 100 gallons, but there are a few that would be unsuitable for all but the largest home aquariums, do research on their ultimate size and temprament before a purchase is made

Venomous and/or Toxic Species:

Stonefishes (Synanceia spp.): Believed to be the most venomous fish in the world

Scorpionfishes/Rockfishes (various genera): Rhinopias has gained in popularity recently

Toadfish (family Batrachoididae)

Lionfish (various genera)

Rabbitfishes/Foxfaces (Siganus and a sub-genus Lo)

Coral Catfish (Plotosus lineatus): These also get up to a foot long and become more solitary as they grow

Blue Ring Octopus (Hapalochlaena spp.)

Fang Blennies (Meiacanthus spp.): Venomous bites that can be painful

Flower Urchins (Toxopneustes pileolus): Rare in the trade, but outside the trade there are reported deaths from this species

Black Longspined Sea Urchins (Diadema spp.): Can inflict painful wounds, some debate exists whether or not they are really venomous, but it's wise to handle all urchins with care

Cone Shells (Conus spp.): Rarely encountered in the aquarium trade, can be deadly

Stingrays (familly Dasyatidae): Many have venom associated with the spike on the tail which they use in self defense, fatalities are very rare

Sea Snakes (various genera:) I know you're not going to try to add one to your reef aquarium, but included for good measure

Box Jellyfish (Chironex fleckeri): Quite deadly but of no concern to aquarists

Hell's Fire Anemone (family Actinodendronidae): While all anemones are capable of stinging, this is the one of the few to be concerned about, very painful stings

Hydroids: usually just cause skin irritation if anything

Fire Coral (Millepora spp.): See hydroids

Sea Mat, Button Polyps, Zoanthids (family Zoanthidae): Some of these can contain Palytoxin which can be quite dangerous, they're quite frequently harmless but if you want to err on the side of caution rubber gloves are a good idea when handling them, as are goggles when fragging them

Extremely Aggressive Species:

Undulated Triggerfish (Balistapus undulatus): Perhaps the meanest aquarium fish available and one to avoid unless you don't mind having a large aquarium with one fish

Queen Triggerfish (Balistes vetula): Not quite as bad as the Undulated, but pretty close and what they lack by comparison in aggression they more than make up for in size

Clown Triggerfish (Balistoides conspicillum): Pretty similar in demeanor to the above two

Blueline Triggerfish (Pseudobalistes fuscus): Not so bad when young, but a beast once it grows, probably the least aggressive of the four triggers mentioned

Passer Angelfish (Holacanthus passer): Probably the meanest of all Angelfish, some of the larger Angels may look like delicate beauties, but some can be quite aggressive

Damselfish (family Pomacentridae): They're not all bad, but ounce for ounce some of them are the meanest fish around, think long and hard about adding them as some of your first specimens

Maroon Clownfish (Premnas biaculeatus): Females get quite large and they can take over medium size tanks, they're also probably the least tolerant of other clown species

Sohal Tang (Acanthurus sohal): Much hardier than the Clown Tang but just about as mean, probably best to keep them as the lone Tang, and if you must keep one in a community reef tank make it your last fish addition

Last edited:
Great job--I know personally how long it takes to do this. I can't tell you how many reefers I have referred to the orginal thread and or used it myself.

Rather then a sticky can I suggest a blog on here. They are great for ammending and adding too.

Can I also suggest alphabetical order for the species?

Accurate from my experience; however many people will not read, or if they do, not believe. Still, a good job.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14982726#post14982726 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snorvich
Accurate from my experience; however many people will not read, or if they do, not believe. Still, a good job.

Snorvich--can you imagine if all 200000 reefers here agreed to something--there would be no more posting:lol:

Great work, lots of hard work went into this. I hope it gets
A. stickied
or
B. made into a blog

on a side note didn't know toadfish were toxic, just thought they were nasty little buggers that eat everything.

It's already been stickied, I believe this is in addition to an older version or it's a revision. Nice work and very good, concise summaries on the general issue with each fish or genera.

It's a revision that I've been working on for a while. Thanks for all the compliments guys, I've never done a blog before and will look into it...

So, about those typos, I know there have to be some that I'm missing. The smiley with the seasnakes is one I noticed.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14984194#post14984194 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Peter Eichler
The smiley with the seasnakes is one I noticed.
Oh, I thought you were just flirting with me. ;)

Great job! Now if we could just get people to print this off and take it with them to the LFS sort of like those cards they give you at the monterrey bay aquarium telling you which fish is ok to order in a restaurant.

Thank you. I appreciate the work you've put into this list. Might I suggest that the orange spotted filefish be moved from "Fish to Be Avoided" to "Fish Best Left for Experienced or Knowledgeable Hobbyists"?

In fact, they are surprisingly easy to keep, _if_ you can get them weaned off the coral diet. But, with the advances in fish foods the last few years that's not the impossible task it used to be.

Matt Pedersen has had phenomenal success with the species--including rearing the young past metamorphosis--and has provided details in a recent _Coral_ article. I've enjoyed routine courtship behavior and spawning with them in a coral-less environment.

They are possible, just very difficult to get onto a substitute diet.

Thanks!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14984194#post14984194 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Peter Eichler
It's a revision that I've been working on for a while. Thanks for all the compliments guys, I've never done a blog before and will look into it...

So, about those typos, I know there have to be some that I'm missing. The smiley with the seasnakes is one I noticed.

if I can help you with a blog on here give me a shout Peter--or if you want me to make a blog up on this I will be happy to do so.

http://www.reefcentral.com/wp/?p=346

I'd like to see a reference for Coris gaimard getting to 2'. Everything I have read says 1', which would not require a 200+ gallon tank.

For many of the 200g+ fish, what you are really talking about is 240g+, as all the standard sizes under 240g are at most 6' tanks.

Despite having one in a 125g, I would suggest adding Zebrasoma desjardini and veliferum to the large tank list. They can get to 1' in length and need swimming room.

Keep up the good work Peter. I have just a couple of thoughts...

1. Butterflies are listed under 'fish to avoid', as well as under 'experienced only'. Maybe some detail should be given as to which should be avoided outright and which are left for the experienced.
2. Most Genicanthus sp. don't require 200g, perhaps include this exception along with the Centropyge.
3. There are several common rabbitfish that do require 200g or more at their adult size.

(foods for thought)

There's a nice list of good, medium, and poor butterflies over at wetwebmedia. A link to that might clear up the butterfly part.

I was thinking that maybe having those species that are potentially deadly toxic/venomous to even those who are not allergic, the letting in <font color="#FF0000">red</font> to catch the attention, but none of the really lethal species are very prevalent in the trade. The closest is the blue ring octopus (of which there are few reported deaths) and the stonefish. Cone shells and flower urchins being the other lethal ones on that list. Palytoxin from zoanthids and other polyps is also very potent, but I don't think I have read of a single human death due to them.

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14986617#post14986617 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by "Umm, fish?"
Thank you. I appreciate the work you've put into this list. Might I suggest that the orange spotted filefish be moved from "Fish to Be Avoided" to "Fish Best Left for Experienced or Knowledgeable Hobbyists"?

In fact, they are surprisingly easy to keep, _if_ you can get them weaned off the coral diet. But, with the advances in fish foods the last few years that's not the impossible task it used to be.

Matt Pedersen has had phenomenal success with the species--including rearing the young past metamorphosis--and has provided details in a recent _Coral_ article. I've enjoyed routine courtship behavior and spawning with them in a coral-less environment.

Thanks!
I agree with this assessment.

The Orange Spotted Filefish (Oxymonacanthus longirostris) is not the obligate coralivore it once was thought to be. In fact, it has been argued that they never were obligate coralivores, even in the home aquarium, but instead picked at corals or ate coral mucous.

We have had great success with them here in Boston, and this recent success appears to be from better collection. I am not sure if the method or geography changed, other than that those who have had success believe it to be from collection.

If you can find one that is eating prepared foods, they are remarkably easy and hardy fish to care for.

I have invited out keeper here in Boston to write a post for RC discussing how to acquire these fish.

Matt:cool:

Actually, may I suggest a reorganization of the list?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14982726#post14982726 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snorvich

I believe that many people ignore these warnings because of the way the information is presented.

For example, clown tangs are listed on the list of species to avoid, and rightly so. They grow large and mean. However, if one has a big tank with aggressive tankmates, is there really the same issue? I believe, psychologically, people see someone keeping the fish with success, and then presume that they can do the same under their separate conditions.

Likewise, many fish that are listed as having poor survivability may be on the list due to poor collection techniques. Talking to importers and reputable (i.e., nationally know for their husbandry) LFS staff locally, if collected and handled properly, these very same fish can be the hardiest of saltwater fish.

Again, if a hobbyist sees someone with success unaware of the importance of collection, they will be inclined to disbelieve this list as nothing more than blowing smoke.

So I feel that above all, the fish to be avoided list should be eliminated or drastically lowered, as many hobbyists do have success with some of these fish.

I would like to propose an alternate structure:

1. Collection: Species where proper collection is critical to success (not to be bought sight unseen or from all but the most trusted of sources)
2. Diet: Species with specialized dietary needs (species that will not take prepared foods, or will require live foods in addition to prepared foods)
3. Size: Species that require larger than common (over 180gal or 6ft long) tank sizes.
4. Aggression: Species that are extremely aggressive, and/or require aggressive tankmates.
5. Timidity: Species that cannot be housed with other fish, or require very docile tankmates.
6. Venom: Species that are venomous or pose a hazard to the aquarist.
7. Delicacy: Species that otherwise just have a very poor survival record in captivity and are extremely intolerant of all but the most stable of conditions.
8. Endangered: Species where collection poses a hazard to either the native population or the surrounding environment.

Matt:cool:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14986617#post14986617 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by "Umm, fish?"

Thanks!

Perhaps some day, but even Matt lost several in the process and I think it's safe to say that the survival rate is still incredibly low. To say that 99 out of every 100 collected are dead within a year, despite the enouraging news, probably isn't much of a stretch.

Back