Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper - is customer service really as bad as everyone says...?

I whent apex and love it, the control amazing the addons are easy to work with and the fusion web based login makes programming insanely easy

Have to say I've had good customer experience in the past with DA before but unfortunately a lot more bad. I think this is the thread I've already mentioned how well they handled their salinity module debacle. But its probably their one shining moment. Delays in products and software updates don't help at all either.

I've recently switched to an Apex and already had to deal with their customer service because of a faulty base unit. They were extremely helpful and got me a replacement base unit quickly once it was determined a factory image reset wasn't going anywhere.

I did start out via email and their ticketing system web interface which is really nice and it works. I actually got replies back the same day. Imagine that. After email support was exhausted they were ready and able to provide remote assistance. It was like I was dealing with a company...

Brian,

If you did in fact do the research you say,

That's just a little harsh.... All I said was there is no perfect solution. Its not hard to find negatives about ANY of them eg:
www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2513359
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/general-discussion/148188-neptune-apex-failure.html
http://reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/neptunesystems-apex-aquacontroller-failure.79128/

Just a few there from a few sites, by searching more around this board you can find plenty of gripes about notifications, resets, quality of some modules, etc etc with Apex. More than DA? Absolutely not, but I never said that. I only said that Profilux seems to be the best for reliability right now, and nothing is without its issues. When any of them fail, the results can be disastrous.

You seem to have had some experiences that may have worked you up, but please be more careful with your accusations.

For myself, I went with an Apex, primarily due to availability. The profilux costs more, but you would expect that. I just couldn't get the package I wanted.

Their website has been down since late last week, other than their main page. I need the MyReef software (was given an RKL and want to try and set it up). I posted something on thier facebook page and no response. All I get is errors like this when clicking on a link from their main page:

Not Found

The requested URL /download/software/ was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

---

Has anyone tried their site lately?
Check to see if it is working for you. I got to that part now but I didn't try and download myReef.

I have an Apex on one tank and a Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper Lite on another tank.

Not to bore you with details but I had a horrible experience with my RKL. It is now a very expensive light timer - the only functionality it has is to turn my lights on and off.

I am happy with the Apex.

Of all the reef items I have bought over the past approx 10 years, by far my biggest regret is the RKL.

IMO, no. I've used phone, email, RKL FAQ, manual, forums and experimentation based on info gleaned from these sources and eventually have found whatever I needed.

Good luck,

Mike

I was on the DA preorder for the reef keeper.

From the VERY beginning they lied about design faults and problems with their units...

These guys are clowns and the two (DA buddies) that chime in here have been defending them for years.

They had MAJOR design issues with their PH probe module (dare try to use 2 at once), and then there was salinityprobegate... that was fun.

They were working on their herp crap as people were screaming that their main unit were defective...
To much nonsense to list but this is a quick summary:

Pros:
Easy to program

Cons:
Design flaws (could only use one PH probe, YES this was confirmed).
Bad customer support.
I went thru 3 head units.
Updating was a train-wreck (yes I got thru it, IT guy here).
Salinity probe problems... last count was a year+ waiting? YES I KNOW ITS FIXED MAYBE
rebooting lights, outlets you name it.
the net module.... slow pain in the *** to use.
To end it all speaking with a few of the main guys from DA they were vain, defensive and vague about everything...I just felt they were jerks...
Dumped it all dirt cheap on Ebay bought an apex and never looked back

The apex is not perfect but its been running since with no restarts and for the most part been rock solid. Updating has been a breeze and I feel "safe" using it.
With the DA unit I constantly worried that it was going to to something very bad....

I have fish that have been with me for nearly 12 years now and feel much better using the Apex

Yep I know:deadhorse:
But I disliked those people so much I felt compelled to post...
Dan

Back