Digital Timer Recommendations

S Helinski

Hi everyone, im making some great changes to my current set up, and need some recommendations. I am running asmall diaphram pump to administer kalk into my sump. I need a good digital timer that will allow me to run the pump for a few minutes at a time every few hours to dose the kalk...

Standard physical timers with pins wont cut it for this job...

Any recommendations? I only need the timer for this pump, but im not opposed to a power strip that can time other things...

Thanks,

Steve

It's time you switched to a controller. The ReefKeeper Lite, by Digital Aquatics, is reasonably priced and will do so much more for you than a common timer. Just having a controller to operate heaters in the event of malfunction could save everything in your tank. You'll wonder how you ever managed without one.

i use Brink timers, i got mine at wal-mart for less then $20. used them for 2 years so far and have had no problems, they have a battery backup in case of power failures.

I use the intermatic DT620 digital timers for my two part pumps. You can adjust as low as 1 minute and they have about 30 settings by day of week.

Experiences with 4 types of controlled outlets:
1) Coralife Digital version: I have had 3 over the last 8 years. One died completely (internal short) ~year 3. The other 2 are still going but once the backup battery goes you lose everything every time the power strip is turned off (so buy a new one ASAP). Plus most of the plug covers have popped off.
2) Coralife Mechanical version: I have 2 of these. Still going strong despite being about as old, if not older, than the Digitals.
3) Intermatic Timer Switch: I bought 4 of these and made them into my own power array ~4 years back. Within a year all of their internal batteries were dead and 2 showed signs of corrosion from humidity. They were not even in the stand. Just in the basement where humidity was kept at <50%.
4) Neptune Apex: So far so good. I have only had it for months now though. Of course it does much more and is probably not what you are interested in hearing about.

I'm sure the Apex is a good controller, but the Reefkeeper Lite is around $130.00 and includes one four outlet strip and the temperature probe. In any case, if you're going get a controller, research them all.

I love all of the controller recommendations, but keep in mind what Steve is looking to accomplish:

I need a good digital timer that will allow me to run the pump for a few minutes at a time every few hours to dose the kalk

I couldn't recommend that someone purchase a $100-400 device to turn one pump on and off a few times a day :)

I couldn't recommend that someone purchase a $100-400 device to turn one pump on and off a few times a day :)

I know what you mean but often a controller ends up being cheaper in the long run. Buying several timers, heater controls etc adds up. If you plan on being in the hobby awhile the sooner you buy a controller the more savings you'll see.

Depending on how many times/day you need power to cycle, this may be your best bet.

I've used the same unit for the past 6 years to run lighting and it works great. Keeps time during power outages and doesn't need to be monkeyed with.

Back