Dilemma with leopard wrasses and fallow tank... thoughts?

jbvdhp

QUESTION:
My tank is currently fallow for ich. Had a vermiculite die in QT, and currently have a meleagris in QT (just DSB), which really hasn't popped out too often. Only seen her a few times.

I am thinking of picking up a couple more leopards, but is it still advisable to put them in QT first, or could they go straight into the DT, although it's being held fallow (been 7 weeks now)? The tank is full of pods and a DSB, but one can see my dilemma.

IF you were in my shoes, seeing how QT is split for this fish, would you
1) stick them in QT with the other, hopefully alive, meleagris?
2) stick them into a tank that once had a MINOR ich issue from a new intro and has been fallow since Xmas?

Please give me some direction. :)

If you can qt, I recommend qt. Macropharyngodon wrasses dont ship well and the biggest problem is getting them settled in a noncompetitive environment, that can be provided in qt. They are also commonly affected by internal parasites, this too is best dealt with in qt. I personally am unconvinced on increased survival rates by skipping qt.

It depends on where you are with your current leopard. If he is treated and ready to go back to the display, then I would hold off on new leopards until you move that one over. I would not move that one over until your fallow ends. I tried to end a fallow period early once and it got the best of me, had to redo it. That time for a full 12 weeks to be sure.

If you really haven't done anything with your current leopard, then why not add a few others now and treat them all together? I have had an awful time lately with leopards btw, they seem to come with flukes more than not lately.

I have 4 beauties in my display and have been trying for a potters and another female meleagris. I have a male female pair of meleagris but the male bothers her quite a bit. Looking to spread some of his "intentions" elsewhere. ;)

I skipped QT with my leopards, and while they did not introduce any communicable diseases, my male bipart ended up dying from what appeared to be internal parasites/worms. Best, IMO, is to put them into a separate tank with live rock and observe/parzipro. Though I appreciate that most people do not maintain such a tank.

Thanks guys! The kicker here is my tank sitting fallow.

Obviously i know QT ALL FISH, but there is so much conflicting info with the success of these neat creatures that I want to ensure survival. This is a true dilemma which i will just continue to qt. Once I get my grubby hands on a couple more leopards i will treat them all after they've acclimated well.

That's sound advice given here! Thanks folks!!!!

Back