Dinoflagellates and nitrates

bureau13

OK, so I've had a series of issues in my tank which have culminated in a bunch of fish which are fine, a bunch of corals which are dead, with my BTA (having cloned itself into five), a bubble coral, a lone SPS frag and a frogspawn being the remaining non-fish survivors...and the frogspawn doesn't look like its going to stick around much longer.

Here's my problem of the month: Dinos. A couple weeks ago I got dinoflagellates, turned the lights out for 3 days and they went away. However, after a couple weeks now they're back again. So, I'm going lights out again. Now, my nitrates are high...really high. Its partly a result of my previous problems, and partly because when I got the dinos I stopped my water changes because everyone says they seem to thrive on them. However, that's NOT getting my nitrates down...and the nitrates, more than the dinos, are most likely killing what's left of my corals.

So my question: Do you think the high nitrates are helping the dinos grow more than the water changes will? I think I HAVE to resume the water changes at this point, but if it contributes to more dino problems I'm going to jump in the tank with a hammer and go nuts.

jds

Back