dinoflagellates or diatoms

NastyZ

So I had an outbreak about two weeks ago of this stuff due to sterring things up with some new powerheads and cleaning out my sump in my tank wondering what it is so I can take approach of getting rid of them iv recently done a 25% water change and it seemed to help

EB94BD00-C3B1-43A3-B9DA-DF8A5F653A3F-5158-000006735B5CFD0B_zps340a9463.jpg

Water changes are key..........as you have already seen. Make sure you check your nutrient export and that Nitrates and Phosphates are as low as you can get them (0 is preferred). But for removing it directly, I use a 3/8" vinyl tube connected to a 3/8" rigid tube and siphon out what you can see during the water changes. The rigid tube lets you get right in there all pull it off the rocks and out of your tank.

Water changes are key..........as you have already seen. Make sure you check your nutrient export and that Nitrates and Phosphates are as low as you can get them (0 is preferred). But for removing it directly, I use a 3/8" vinyl tube connected to a 3/8" rigid tube and siphon out what you can see during the water changes. The rigid tube lets you get right in there all pull it off the rocks and out of your tank.

Yea iv done all that just comes back a lot of stuff blow out into the water colum when I switched powerheads and cleaning the sump didn't help just don't know of its Dino or diatoms

If it is stringy , it's probably Dino's. From what I have read ... Water changes will make the situation worse. I had Dino's and didn't do water changes and used hydrogen peroxide to kill mine off . During the peroxide dosing , I used a very short light period for a couple of days .

If it is stringy , it's probably Dino's. From what I have read ... Water changes will make the situation worse. I had Dino's and didn't do water changes and used hydrogen peroxide to kill mine off . During the peroxide dosing , I used a very short light period for a couple of days .

Im scared to say I've beat them. 3 day total black out and H202 dosing, haven't seen any dinos in a month.

They seem to be going away since the water change or at least not coming back so quickly I started wet skimming ill get a better pic when the lights come on some looks stringy and some looks like patches

I have been dealing with dions and i think im starting to win. I read something about raising the ph so i satrted doing that about a week ago with an ongoing blackout and it seems to be working.

Here's a different pic what do you guys think this stuff is a little more fuzzy but looks the same as the rest

434B1744-8FF4-417B-A5D9-E2B9237E8DC8-5482-000007A883E0B014_zps0ef5993d.jpg

Here's a little bit of a better pic still trying to identify between Dino and diatoms it seems to get worse when my day lights turn on I'm thinking of turning the lights off for a couple of days and c wht happens

F0EB1545-7144-4607-9CF9-A02F315D37FB-1339-000001648A000B8B_zpsbf51145b.jpg

667EEF3B-1E06-48E5-81E3-3925E94063F9-1339-000001648E6DBC31_zps447cf7db.jpg

Looks like diatoms to me too. When I had dinos it was a lot more intrusive and bubbly. It was also stringy like hair algae.

I don't think they are anything to worry about, just a sign of a maturing tank.

It does get worse then my day lights come on but everything pic iv seen of Dino's doesn't look like This diatoms also get worse in the light too don't they?

Back