Dinoflagellates

suppressivefire

What is everyones experiences with them? Ways to eradicate it? I know ive read on raising ph to help, but they say it may appear again once ph is lowered back down.
Any info appreciated :)
-Chris

-raise ph to 8.4
-skim VERY wet
- siphon out what you can, run the siphon water through polyfilter and return the water to the tank
-no water changes
- add a fuge

Got them hard in the 1700g here at the museum a few months ago. Completely taped over the front glass with black plastic and zero light into the tank for 3 days. Knock on wood, we've had no problems with them since.

I've been battling them for 4 weeks or so. Sucking them out, higher flow, and massive water changes don't seem to help. Now I'm trying nothing and seeing how it goes. There's a thread in the chemistry forum that claims ozone is a cure, but there's no way I'll be setting that up.

Total Darkness!!!

Total Darkness!!!

I'm in the same boat. I just can't add enough saturated Kalk to keep the Ph over 8.4. The total darkness idea might work.... At least thats the most creative idea ive heard of!
Thanks for the ideas... I'll let ya know if it works!
Dave

I've spotted them recently too. My thoughts on some suggestions;

-High PH seems to stress coral and almost impossible w/ Kalk alone.
-My tank isn't anywhere near new.

I think the total darkness and siphoning might be the best suggestion. TMZ, what are your thoughts?

PS- Dave... that foot is way too cool to be yours! :lol:

the problem is that dinos are actually a bacteria, not an algae (from what I've read). That's why reduced lighting didn't work. I've been running phosphate remover also, but the other thread I found actually suggested that this could make things worse.

Here's the thread for reference:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1619925&highlight=dinoflagellates

Upping my fuge lighting to 24 hours helped in the display, but they just moved into the fuge. Tank is like 8 months old at this point, so that could be my issue, although others are having the same problems with older tanks. Not sure what to do from here on. LPS and SPS don't mind them, but my zoos couldn't be unhappier.

The darkness works for some, but not for others. I've had a couple outbreaks in my time, and one was nearly impossible to cure. I think JAF had the same outbreak and it nearly caused him to tear his tank down. It can take patience and lots of Kalk, but they will eventually die if you're persistent and VERY diligent in maintaining pH levels.

FWIW they are actually eukaryotic flagellate protozoa (tiny animals) and most are photosynthetic, making the darkness method worth the try.

Back