Dipping of Corals

Cbravo212

I know there have been these questions before, but reading through the threads, they were not answered. I did not want to hijack anothers thread so I thought I would ask them outright.

1. Using the zoanthid dip procedure listed here on RC, it states to use 3-5 (could be wrong) drops of lugol's solution for every gallon of RO/DI water and use it. However, the directions on the bottle (Kents, I believe), it says to use WAY more and use tank water. Why the big difference?

2. What can you dip with this method? SPS? LPS (Which I have heard no, but want to verify)?

3. Can you dip SPS in lugol's solution or do you have to use interceptor or FW exit?

4. What can and can you not dip in FW?

Thanks for all the help. If it is explained somewhere else, just post up a link and I will read into it.

Thanks again,

1. Using the zoanthid dip procedure listed here on RC, it states to use 3-5 (could be wrong) drops of lugol's solution for every gallon of RO/DI water and use it. However, the directions on the bottle (Kents, I believe), it says to use WAY more and use tank water. Why the big difference?

I use tank water and use enough lugol to make the water as the color of a light tea. I wouldn't use way more cause pending on the coral your dipping strength can be too strong especially when lugol is concentrated.

2. What can you dip with this method? SPS? LPS (Which I have heard no, but want to verify)?

You can dip SPS and LPS. It all depends on what pests your dealing with?

3. Can you dip SPS in lugol's solution or do you have to use interceptor or FW exit?

Again interceptor is generally used for red bugs and FW is for flatworms. So it all depends o what your battling against.

4. What can and can you not dip in FW?

You can actually treat your whole tank with FW so everything.

Alot of people have been using "revive" as a safe and easy pest dip.

My 2 cents:

I use Tropic Marin Coral Cure or TLF Revive for my SPS both work very well. Sometimes both if I am worried where it came from.

As mentioned before Interceptor is primarily used for Red bugs on SPS, I personally have never used it but I have friends that swear by it. I rely on the dips, I am using.

I dip everything that goes in the tank, the only thing I use a fresh water dip for is fish.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15455541#post15455541 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tcinaustin
I dip everything that goes in the tank, the only thing I use a fresh water dip for is fish.

So do these products tell you to use tank water? And the way I understand you is that you dip everything. SPS, LPS and so on.

Thanks for all the help.

I second on dipping everything. i use a mix of seachem reef dip Iodine, and revive. i float, then i dip for 15 then i swish all the slime off and place in the tanks. Lugols is a brand name of a particular concentrate Iodine. Kent is weak thats why you have to use the whole bottle on one dip. always dip!!!! always always

Depending on the coral and where it came from, I generally just dip in chilled tank water. Works extremely well for everything I have ever dipped. Bugs, worms, anything you can think of falls off. Only if I am suspicious of the origins of the coral do I dip in Lugol's or TMPCC.

All I could find locally was a Seachem Reef Dip, has iodine, but must be weak, needs 5-10 cc's of dip per gallon.

I found nudis on a zoa colony, so I dipped all the corals in that little QT. Found a few dead nudi's and large copapods in the dip water, but there were smaller copapods or amphipods on the big colony just seconds after I put it back in the tank. I am wondering if they lived through the dip, and if they did, did the nudi's? Should I retreat in a week or two in case there are eggs hatching out?

Back