Disappointed with new format

Reef Bass

colors and textures
I do not like the new reduced size page format of ReefKeeping. On my 1920x1200 display I need a magnifying glass to see the reef slides. I don't have an iPhone and have no plans to purchase one. If catering to the lowest possible usage scenario is the goal, why don't we go back to a 40 column uppercase text display like in the late 70's? That would be a really small light page.

You closed the door on novice forum as catering to those with little experience was too much work, yet you revamp the site to accomodate those with too small displays. You know in the next few years cellphones will all have oustanding hd displays. The current standard widescreen display is 1680x1050, and yet you have reformated the site to less than half that size. Can't iPhone users just turn the phone on its side to view in widescreen format?

Do the MAJORITY of your users view the site exclusively with their iPhones? Then I might understand your reformatting of the site. I would bet that the majority of visitors are not on iPhones. So you've inconvenienced the majority of your viewers to accomodate the minority.

And so what if iPhone users experienced some lag with TOTM? So don't click it! That thread used to load lightening quick for me with my broadband access and once again you've removed a valuable feature to accomodate a minority of users. Reading about the experience of those who had those amazing tanks was informative and inspirational.

I get that this is really about trying to lighten server loads to accomodate more users. Obviously y'all thought this was a good idea or you wouldn't have done it. This non iPhone user thinks the site has taken a large step backwards in both visual quality and content. I would also bet that if I didn't enjoy reading ReefKeeping and value it as a resource that I wouldn't care about your having degraded the site.

Ah! I fell for it hook, line and sinker. Nicely done. Yes, I am very gullible and trusting.

Your joke is entirely too plausible. Everywhere I look these days companies and websites are scaling back, eliminating useful personnel and features in the name of conserving cash. Yours seemed no exception. Working in the web industry that hit a little too close to home.

The Reef Babes were long overdue, seriously or in jest.

By the way, the giant squid is Architeuthis dux. Did I pass? :)

Back