Distilled or Tap

Check the label on most distilled containers and you will notice, "minerals added for flavoring".

What you hobbyists should do is invest in a .TDS Meter

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8078848#post8078848 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EdKruzel
Check the label on most distilled containers and you will notice, "minerals added for flavoring".

I check the labels always before buying distilled water and have never seen that.

Well then you're quite fortunate Eric; I still recommend you invest in a TDS meter.

It is a must for those using RO/DI as you can tell precisely when to clean/change filters.

Ed

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8077512#post8077512 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EricBrian
But, in the long run, distilled is more expensive.

Second that....never use tap water until you have checked your T.D.S. even then I bet they are not any good. Alsp ....get an RODI...best money you can spend on your tank. Biggest error people make. Spend $$$ on corals, and powerheads, etc......But put crap water in their tanks. Maybe I'm not the sharpest tool in the shead, but water is the blood line of our systems.

From those that I talk to, the purchace of an RO/DI unit is the purchace they are most satisfied with. It gives you great water for your tank... good drinking water... water for your plants.... etc. I currently pay $1.00/gal for RO/DI salt water. That's about 60 cents more than what it would cost to make it with my own RO/DI unit. At 5-10 gallons/week, the savings would pay the cost of a Typhoon III in 40 weeks... little less than a year. Even if it took two years to justify the cost it would be worth it.

I just started using plain drinking water that states its purified with an RO process. Also states sodium free. No indications of any minerals being added. Is NOT listed as distilled. Is this an ok alternative? Or is distilled even better?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8078848#post8078848 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EdKruzel

I have never seen this - (and I have purchased my share of distilled water) if this were the case then the distilled water would not perform its function.

People use it in irons and steamers because it can evaporate and not leave residue (sp?). If anything was intentionally added it would leave that behind therefore defeating the purpose of distilling the water in the first place. I think you may have read the mineral add comments on drinking water or purified water - should never happen in distilled water.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8081690#post8081690 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ambaratur
I have never seen this - (and I have purchased my share of distilled water) if this were the case then the distilled water would not perform its function.

People use it in irons and steamers because it can evaporate and not leave residue (sp?). If anything was intentionally added it would leave that behind therefore defeating the purpose of distilling the water in the first place. I think you may have read the mineral add comments on drinking water or purified water - should never happen in distilled water.

Exactly. As somebody already pointed out, 'stuff' is added to spring water but not to distilled since it would no longer be distilled then.

Like I've said, I've only used distilled water since I set up my tanks in March of this year. I have had no problems at all.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8082753#post8082753 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dee67
But what about the premise that distilled water may be processed with copper pipes??

for short term it is ok, since distilled water has very-very-very-very little of copper. Going long term with distilled water, that very-very-very-very little amount of copper accumulates over time up to toxic levels.

So, in summary using distilled water until you get RO/DI unit is totally acceptable.

I think is is old beliefs die hard in copper pipes are still being used for distilling water. Most of the larger companies out there have completely rid their systems of copper piping a few years ago. Walmart brand distilled water is no longer using copper pipes to distill water. Buy theirs! Nice and cheap too!

FWIW, distilling is a process to remove heavy metals and such so why would they add minerals to distilled water? That would sort of defeat its purpose ;)

I am one of those who believe Walmart is evil and so, will not buy from them. I will continue to buy my expensive distilled water. :)

Don't think anyone answered my earlier question...what about water purchased that is purified using 'ro'. Would this be just as good as distilled? If distilled may have trace imputities- why would it be better than ro? (please excuse my ignorance if already answered...!)

oh, and btw, this site is for discussions. sometimes they are more than one page (thanks to the HELPFUL people)

everl0ng, here is a rundown for you:
tap - worst
distilled - better
RO/DI - best

To find out which water is better from stores you'd need a TDS meter. Because sometimes stores don't maintain their RO equipment, in that case their RO water becomes "dirty".

Back