DIY 10G sump w/ HOB fuge... need help

FrEsHaZzBuRu

So I'm trying to build a sump for my 29G. Currently I have a HOB aquafuge with DSB, 1 LR, and some macro. I want to somehow incorporate the HOB with the sump but I'm drawing a blank as to how to incorporate it (I'm a total noob with sumps).

So I am asking for a design which would incorporate the fuge and skimmer in a 10 gallon tank. Everything is to scale.

The aquafuge measures 19L" x 5W" x 12H" with inlet and outlet 16" apart. Dimentions of 10g is 20L" x 11W" x 12H" and will stick out about 1" from the back of the stand which isn't a problem for me. I really don't want to get rid of the HOB fuge since I already invested in it.

sumpbuild.jpg

picture shows stand from the back angled, overhead view from front, and right side view

Skimmer is a Coralife super skimmer 115 which can also HOB.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Not sure where you want to hang the HOB fuge??? Do you want it on the tank? Do you want it on the sump? Why would you need the HOB if you have the 10 sump?

Not sure where you want to hang the HOB fuge??? Do you want it on the tank? Do you want it on the sump? Why would you need the HOB if you have the 10 sump?

I currently have the HOB aquafuge hanging on the DT. I bought it before I decided to go the sump route. Now I don't really want to just toss the HOB fuge aside. I would love to get a bigger sump and include a fuge internally, but that would require me to buy/build a new stand which I don't want to do.

I'm thinking about hanging the fuge on the sump which adds more volume to the system as well. My only concern is whether I will run into any problems using the fuge to intake water from the Skimmer section and returning water into the return section of the sump from the fuge. I was also still thinking of still creating a fuge section in the sump for future proofing in the event I find someone to buy the HOB fuge from me - transferring everything later.

Therefore, i wpuld like advice with the needs and concerns I have, I was just trying to get pointed in the right direction with how the sump should be divided/plumbed to make things efficient and productive.

Assuming you have enough room to hang the HOB fuge to your sump. You could T off your return line to your HOB. Dont use the pump in the HOB. Let the water flow back into your fuge section of your sump.
Water into the skimmer section, overflow into the return section. On the far right fuge section water flowing into the middle return section.
You can spit your over flow line from your DT (with ball values) One to the skimmer sec and one to the fuge section. Weather it be the sump sec. or to the HOB fuge.
Hope that helps
I am sure there are more ways to do it and others will chimm in.

You could T off your return line to your HOB. Dont use the pump in the HOB. Let the water flow back into your fuge section of your sump.
Water into the skimmer section, overflow into the return section. On the far right fuge section water flowing into the middle return section.
You can spit your over flow line from your DT (with ball values) One to the skimmer sec and one to the fuge section. Weather it be the sump sec. or to the HOB fuge.

Oh wow... see that's what I meant by I'm a noob, I was getting ready to buy another pump lol. I think the pump from the aquafuge is the maxijet 1200 which i believe is 300gph and contains a flow valve. From what I've read, 5x the volume of water is what is ideal for flow, which means this pump would be more than adequate.

Hope that helps
I am sure there are more ways to do it and others will chimm in.

Thanks a lot. I appreciate it. I do hope more ideas pop up, yours - although was probably simple for you to conjure up - is probably the way to go... I just can't believe I couldn't think this up on my own when I've been reading lots of built threads!! :headwalls:

This is what this site is for. Use it as you need too. I have. It has saved my alot of aggravation, time, and money.

Back