DIY Hybrid Tank

Well I just picked up the PVC. No wonder AGE uses this stuff, its BEAST!

I should be picking my glass up in the next few weeks to get this project started!

pvc-vi.jpg

-Dave

How thick is that piece?

looks to be 1" thick.....

but why so small? what is the foot print? 2'x3'? i guess that isnt too small...but i cant imagine the piece of 19mm glass would have weighed much more then that...

It is 1" thick. Its going to be for a 30x22x20 tank.

I got the ok from a DOW rep about the 795 bonding glass and PVC. I should be building the tank on Jan 16th.

I will keep this thread posted :)

-Dave

Dave, you plan to float the glass inside the routed parts of the PVC bottom? And have this be rimless? I'm very clueless when it comes to building glass aquariums but i've built a few sumps out of acrylic. I wonder why you'd want to put all your holes in the bottom PVC; it seems this is asking for a future failure of the bottom BHs. Seems to me building a glass tank with a glass float bottom would be much easier, and with the diamond hole saw prices being very affordable IMO it seems your reinventing the wheel. I like the look and sound of your project, just the sense part hasn't clicked for me yet. GL and keep the photos coming.

I plan to use a rabbet route around the perimeter. 3/8's glass and cutting the pvc a 1/2" down. Here's a what I'm going for...

Glass _____________
l l
l l PVC
V l
________l

I wanted to use PVC because I have always been afraid of cracking the bottom of my tank from drilling or something out of my hands. The drilling will be just as easy as acrylic. I have access to a milling machine and everything so the cuts will be easy.

Let me know if you have anymore Q's.

-Dave

Back