DIY Hybrid Tank

DFason

I am thinking about trying the method that A.G.E uses for there tanks. I want to use a PVC bottom and glass sides. Has anyone ever tried this on a DIY level?

I have access to a everything I would need besides the glue/adhesive for bonding the glass to PVC.

Anyone out there that may be able to help?

-Dave

I can't offer any advice, but can I ask what your motivation is to not just make the bottom out of glass as well?

I honestly want to just try it out. Lighter, easier to drill and saves some money from buying thicker glass for the bottom.

I was under the impression that only AGE did the bottom like that.

-Dave

I like the possibilities of having a PVC bottom as well. I had tossed the idea around of making a nano with a thicker bottom ~1" and drilling the supplies and returns to come up from the base, with supply and return plumbing in the rear (suits the location I have for the tank). I think there are all sorts of possibilities with this type of design.

Yep, it would make things way easier! I just need to find the stuff to get the PVC to stick to the glass.

-Dave

someone here recently put a pvc bottom or back on a cracked tank. stfphysics? have it saved in favorites but that is at home. just search pvc tank and you should be able to find it. he always does nice projects. i would love to see you try this on a large tank to see how it goes. i am considering a big tank build in a couple years and am starting to work out the details of materials and methods. good luck.

After looking around I have found DOW 795 and Weld on 1892.

Anyone out there have experience with these two?

-Dave

why not just build a acrylic one???? It would give you the same flexabillity and quiet easy to do....and over lighter and stronger...;)

Looks like the DOW is what I will be using. They use it at most public aquariums so I thats a pretty good test. I see they also make it in black. I wonder if that is also reef safe?

I am just waiting on my local plastic shop to send me the quote back for the PVC. I am going to use a rabbet route for the glass fit in.

-Dave

Well I just picked up the PVC. No wonder AGE uses this stuff, its BEAST!

I should be picking my glass up in the next few weeks to get this project started!

pvc-vi.jpg

-Dave

I will gator. I hope to have it built soon so it can cure for a month or so.

The piece itself is around 60-70 pounds. When I first picked it up I was thrown off by it!

-Dave

Back