DIY In-Wall

I see how you made that mistake now... The brackets were around the names of the people who actually did the work. When I said "I", I was lying. :)

Thats too funny.

The last picture that you posted is where you are currently with your project?

Yeah, well. I did some modifications last night. I made an acrylic top for my sump, and some rock work. Now it's the nitro-cycle waiting game. :)

Nice.

I noticed the giant smoke cloud in your tank. lol

Iââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢m not too sure your experience in the hobby but ill give you some advice on that issue because I made the same mistake when I setup my first tank. Not saying this is your fist or anything.
The next time I setup another tank of mine I washed my substrate with the water hose in a 5 gallon bucket for about 1 hour. I had like 10 5 gallon buckets going at once and had my water hose at the bottom. All the super fine particles with float out. I noticed for myself, anyways, that if I didnââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t do this step that whenever I was in the tank i would make another could like that. After I added my sand (DRY) I laid a plastic garbage bag in the tank on top of the sand and then filled my tank about 3/4 the way full and then removed the garbage bag. BAM... no dust cloud. I went back and done this to all of my tanks. I had crushed coral in all the rest of my tanks and replace the substrate with sand. I had no vacuuming, no up-keep as long as is a good 3-5 inches of sand. They both made my job a lot easier.

Wow, that's a great tip. This is the first time i've used this fine sugar sized reef sand, so I didn't expect this.

I'm wondering if I could filter it out somehow. Hmm. Might be impossible. :)

You might not have to worry about it since the finer particles are going to either be skimmed out or settle down further in the sand. When I just poured it in and went with it, I noticed that my tanks occupants were kicking up the substrate making their own little holes and ditches as they wanted it. This is when I noticed the problem the most if I can remember correctly. If youââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢re not in that big of a hurry I would recommend pulling it all out and washing it. It might be ok. Itââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢s hard to tell what might happen, people all require different things. I would hate to see you not be happy and ask yourself the question: "Should I have washed it first?"
This is just my experience though.

You might want to ask some of the more experienced keepers on here and what they do. These are things that I have thought of and my not really matter. I just got tired of blowing my live rocks off from the debrisââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢s and the such.

that brute trashcan you bought is no good
its made out od secod hand plastics and those leach stuff into your water

i had one set up (same one) and there was brown film on the water after a week or so
what you ned should look for as a replacement is food grade containers
btw looking good so far keep us updated!!!

Back