DIY Kalkwasser?

cnaegler

Hello all!
I was curious if you can DIY kalkwasser so as to not have to pay retail for it? I searched RC but can't really find anything on it. Thanks in advance!

Not sure how far back in the manufacturing process you want to go, but you can buy it relatively inexpensively from Bulk Reef Supply, or if you have a big group buy, you may be able to order an appropriate grade from a distributor of Mississippi Lime Company or other big manufacturers. :)

If you really want to do it all yourself (not recommended :D ) you can start with limestone and bake it in a blast furnace until all water and CO2 is blown off to form calcium oxide. Add water carefully (gets hot) to form calcium hydroxide, if you wish, but calcium oxide is already perfectly suitable. :)

That's what i figured...i was just checking to see. I know you can save alot of money by doing your 2-part so i just thought i'd see. Thanks Randy!! :)

You're welcome.

I forgot to mention that many folks buy pickling lime at grocery stores, especially in the fall. That's a fine plan too, if you can find it.
You can get it online at www.mrswages.com

Good luck. :)

The grocery stores and walmart always have pickling lime year around where I live. It's around $3.83 for a container. a Container lasts my 125g around 2 months, maybe a little more. Not sure how much cheaper you want to get?

if you havent found anything for plans yet drop me a message. I built my own out of PVC during a group meeting a few months back and havent had a problem. I think it was maybe 40-60 bucks total. If you have a home supply store in town you can get what you need. All you need is PVC, PVC glue, die tap set, teflon tape, and some hosing.

if you havent found anything for plans yet drop me a message. I built my own out of PVC during a group meeting a few months back and havent had a problem. I think it was maybe 40-60 bucks total. If you have a home supply store in town you can get what you need. All you need is PVC, PVC glue, die tap set, teflon tape, and some hosing.
I would like to see some pics of that. Where did you find the plans at?

If you have the time, I'd love to see your doser and/or get the plans to be build one. Thanks.

The store version of pickling lime is called "Mr's Wages Pickling Lime".
That is all I ever use.

I put it in this:
finished_kalk_stir-2000.jpg

thread:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1685214

Stu

Back