DIY Overflow question-will this work?

WILLR

I want to make an overflow(s) for a 90 G with the "half of the six inch pipe" method. Will it work if I cut the half pipe sections short-say around 6 inches instead of continuing it to the bottom of the tank? I can just cut a piece of acrylic in the shape of a half moon for the bottom. I just want to use all of the available space.

Does anyone see any problems with this that I may have not thought of?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Bill

Your plan will work, the only downside is that it might be difficult to seal your acrylic half moon to the bottom of hte pvc pipe.

Kim

Why not just go with glass boxes? Much easier to work with and only cost a few bucks at the hardware store... or for that matter a full length coast to coast (calfo) overflow. The surface skimming from 2 6" half circle overflows is not going to be all that great. You will also not have much room for plumbing.

How deep would you suqqest the box to be? And, that "calfo" is the one that goes the length of the tank-- minus a couple inches on each side. Correct? I have only heard about this style. Besides the length, what would be the ideal dimensions, including drain size?

Thanks for the replies,
Much appreciated

Bill

Back