DIY Pod Condos

im going to go to HD too!

for some reason i don't think they will have it
they never have anything i need

great idea though!
im going to make mine a complete cylinder

Now EVERYONE will have a roll minus 2 ft cut out of it.

We are all too cheap to throw anything away for fear it will come in handy for the next build. Thia is how fish rooms happen.

Awesome idea. Time to hit up the local clubs and do a Pod sleep over system, and we can all seed everyones tanks

Those you could transport in a Styrofoam minnow bucket, in water to help keep the temp stable for the pods.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10072783#post10072783 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefForBrains
Now EVERYONE will have a roll minus 2 ft cut out of it.

We are all too cheap to throw anything away for fear it will come in handy for the next build. Thia is how fish rooms happen.

:lol: So true...

When going to Lowes and HD to look for this, don't just look in the gutter section. Both stores near me carry it, but it's stocked with the replacement windows screen. It's not in the gutter section at all. Makes little sense but whatev's

At the time of this writing, the term "Pod Hotel" has a pending trademark application by SB Reef lights: https://www.trademarks411.com/marks/87700079-pod-hotel. Additionally, I’ve been told by the filer that “Pod Condo”. Or anything similar will infringe on that Trademark.

Additionally, SB Reef claims they have a patent on the idea of a pod hotel/condo, but I’ve seen no evidence of a patent yet, all searches come up empty. If they did apply, it would likely take 3-5 years to issue, and there would be a chance to claim “prior art”.

I received a C&D letter from Mike at SBReefs asking me to stop selling my Pod Condo, or face legal repercussions. He has since repeated that threat twice, in writing, so he may be serious. My legal counsel claims that I’m on solid ground, so I’m continuing to sell my design.

I wanted to give you a heads up though. If the patent is granted, it may be a violation to make these, even at home as a DIY, and the use of “Pod Hotel” may infringe the Trademark application.

Funny. In SE Asia they have been using "hapa" nets for a very long time. These are net enclosures to keep fish fry from being eaten while they grow. These are placed in larger water filled tanks or fields. Maybe the acrylic box with layers in an aquarium makes this different? Kinda like done on a computer makes it different than on a sheet of paper?

I'd be shocked if they had any legal standing to go after someone that was building one of these for home use that wasn't being resold.

I received a C&D letter from Mike at SBReefs asking me to stop selling my Pod Condo, or face legal repercussions. He has since repeated that threat twice, in writing, so he may be serious. My legal counsel claims that I'm on solid ground, so I'm continuing to sell my design.

I wanted to give you a heads up though. If the patent is granted, it may be a violation to make these, even at home as a DIY, and the use of "œPod Hotel" may infringe the Trademark application.

IMO, anybody who is serious doesn't issue THREE C&D letters. (I really REALLY mean it this time!) They issue ONE C&D letter and if you don't C&D, go straight to legal action. Sounds like BS to me.

C&D letters come from the attorney and is sent certified mail. You get only (1) the next letter you sign for is the suit filing. I smell dung here. Ask for his attorney so your attorney may file for a view of findings. That will shut him up or make it real.
I know this from experience. Been there done it.

To clarify, I received an emailed C&D request from the owner of SBReef, not an official letter from an attorney. The other threats were on FB, which I have screen shots of.

Thanks for the tips all, I appreciate it.

Back