DIY Powerhead Mod

jlp.xiii

Okay so when my tank sprang a leak I had to rush out and buy the nearest tank I could get my hands on with emergency funds so I got a 40 gallon breeder. I thought it would only be temporary but I really like the dimensions for a reef tank so this thing has stuck around. Anyways, I had my old Maxi-Jet 1200's that I put into this new tank but one began shooting stray voltage so I replaced it with the cheap route of a Petco brand powerhead. :eek1: Shocker, I know. I figured for $20, what the heck. So I brought it home without much looking over it and to my dismay, the flow nozzle is NOT adjustable (directional adjustments) nor does it have a deflector of any kind.. So I was looking for a cheap-o way, per my style, to mod this powerhead to help increase the flow area. One cool aspect of it is that because of the way the suction cups mount to the body, I can technically corner mount it if I could figure a way to spread out the flow. Any ideas would be great, sorry for the long read!

P.S. I can upload pics if necessary of the tank and powerhead itself but just a warning I stirred up alot of sand when I was playing with positioning the powerheads. :crazy1:

Back