diy protein skimmer

ATM

anyone know where the plans to building your own hang on protein skimmer is?
thanks

These are the plans I am following.

DIY Skimmer

I put it on hold for a little while because a fellow local reefer sold me his old skimmer that was a great deal.

Newtophish, nice link! Do you know what the recomended tank size that skimmer is rated for ( in lets say a medium stocked tank )?

Hey,

Randy's DIY skimmer is modelled after ER's 135, which is rated for a medium bioload on a 135g tank. You can increase the size of the pump and the skimmer chamber to adapt it to larger tanks if you like.

I am in the process of trying to finish up a 125 (inprogress since Jan) I added a recirc pump to it. It has been nowhere near water yet so I can tell you how it will perform.

Is the skimmer chamber the same as the reaction chamber? I don't know jack about skimmers, but I know I wanna give DIY a try.

I'm putting together a 125 as well. I wanna go barebottom with a heavy bioload. So, its important that I skim heavy.

I went about my tank all wrong so all of my modifications have to happen while it is running, real PITA. Next tank I will plan everything out first.

Coming from somone who has built more than one skimmer, and has done alot of research into them....Your not going to save a hell of a lot of money over buying a good one by building a good one. Of course if you cheap out and build a POS then it will be, however its likely not to work very well and your just wasting your money/time.

I just got finished building a DIY skimmer for my 75g, and while it works great, and to an extent looks pretty darn good too....Im not sure its a hell of alot better than an octopus skimmer I could have bought for a similar amount that I spent...

Look into the Octopus skimmers...they are great, and they are cheap.

Back