DIY Rimless Low Iron glass or Regular glass?

C Dog

I got a quote to buy glass sheets for a DIY rimless tank. The tank is gona be 3/4" thick 72"L x 36"W x 24"T rimless

For regular glass 3/4" $1,134

For 3 sided 3/4" low iron (2) 72" x 24" & (1) 36" x 24" $1,464

Its only a $330 difference and thinking it is worth it. What do you think?

Plus $96 to ship it and I would have to pick it up 2.5 hours from me which isn't a big deal.

I have seen starfire tanks at my LFS side by side and noticed a difference. How much easier are they to scratch than regular glass? Are they any weaker?

Starfire for sure! it will also scratch much easily compared to regular glass; but not as easily as acrylic. I dont think they are any weaker, but never researched it in any detail as I had already planned to Eurobrace

Like do you have to use a special cleaning magnet or will a regular one work? Are snails going to scratch it? I just don't want to spend all this money on a tank and be scrachted up in a few years

I just got myself a rimless starfire tank and I love it. There is a clear difference in clarity, and not only that - the seams look nicer (no contrasting dark stripe). I haven't had to clean the glass yet but AFAIK I'll be using my regular mag float.

I use the algaefree cleaning magnets with the razor blade attachment. all four sides are starfire and so far I have not seen any scratches caused due to that.

I also have 4-5 large snails and havent noticed anything due to that. The couple of scratches that I can see are due to the cars racing by on the racetrack ;) . the drivers sometimes lose control and results in a scratch. no biggie for me.

The company just emailed me back after a lot of emails back and fourth. The said they are retracting the bid. This is from a company most have heard of.

So how much in glass and supplies for the build? $1464 total for the glass?? That seems cheap.. Seems like what you have listed there isnt enough glass for a 72x36x24 tank.

That sounds like a good deal, for them to put it together and all. However, you only have listed 3 pieces of glass and obviously you'll need 5 for an actual thing that will hold water. I can get a good deal here locally from a glass company and they also build them. I'll give some examples for your 269 gallon tank

You're gonna need 42 sqft of glass for a 72"x36"24

(2) 72"x24" (1) 12sqft *$32 + (1)12sqft *$21
(1) 72"x36" (1) 18sqft *$21
(2) 36"x24" (2) 6sqft *$32

$1398 for 3/4"

The $32 is per square foot of starphire glass and the $21 is for regular glass. You should only buy 3 pieces starphire (assuming only 3 sides viewable) and save some dough and keep the bottom and back regular.

I'll leave a picture of my desgin for a 90g for better visual representation. Cheers though!

Back