DIY skimmer build

panaboy95

Well i started to build this skimmer a long time ago before my 150 leaked. once i took the 150 down i just threw it into a pile in the corner. i since have got it built and running. i thought i would throw a few pics p of the build.

this is what i started with. I got a 12" PVC tube for free from a local plumber. I got the 6" tube from Dewayne at reef FX for free. I also bought some scrap acrylic from ebay pretty cheap.

DSC07941.jpg

I decided that it was worth the money to just buy a twist lock flange rather than try to make something. this one came from Geo and he also sent me an extra o-ring for it.

DSC07943.jpg

the first thing i did was to make the cone. i made a form for the acrylic to go into then threw it in the oven and the rest is history worked pretty good othe than stinking up the house real bad.

DSC07971.jpg

DSC07973.jpg

DSC07975.jpg

DSC07977.jpg

After the cone was made i glued it to the chamber. then glued the flange on and the neck to the other piece of the flange.

DSC07979.jpg

this is the beast of a pump that is running this bad boy. i got a good deal on this pump used from a fellow reefer.

DSC08010.jpg

this is the mixing box put together and the bubble plate starting to come together.

DSC08458.jpg

here is the bubble plate done ready for the main chamber to be glued to the box.

DSC08470.jpg

I redesigned the plumbing after some anvise on an exert that helped in the design of the reeflo pro series skimmers. i made the feed pump inlet in the inlet of the dart.

DSC08471.jpg

here is a pic of it just before i had the collection cup made.

DSC08476.jpg

Now you are all caught up it has been running for a week it is really starting to put out good nasty black nasty goo. the video is of the first day of it running. the bubbles are still a little big in the neck they have since gotten a lot smaller. the second pic i took tonight after one week of running.

DSC08481-1.jpg

I'm building my new skimmer out of the same material. I have a question how did you glue the acrylic to the PVC?

i used weld on the thick stuff i think it is 16. i will sell you the body of this one if you want. i do not use it anymore. i bought a octo skimmer a couple of years ago and this one is just sitting collecting dust. i am not sure how big of one you are building but this did work pretty good, but it was not a set it and forget it type of skimmer. i just was not patient enough to get it the way i wanted it. i used a dart needle wheel with an air pump and it skimmed pretty good. i think part of my problem was never making the top. i did not realize how much a top regulates the airflow.

Back