DIY Stand Question

chowberg

Hello,

It is for a 35 gallon cube tank with a 10 gallon sump. I built the frame out of 2x4s and was going to do the skin like the stand below.

My question is do you think the legs on the below stand will hold up? I really like that look but am a little cautious of it. Any thoughts or suggestions?

http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/...ding-simple-aquarium-stand-jonathan-hale.html

Also - what kind of wood would you use to get a similar look, it says birch in the below link. Is that an easy wood to stain?

Thanks,

Gary

yes, if you extend the 2x4 down to the legs

The frame is already set. I'm going to attempt this using 2x4 as the base for the legs. If anybody has any experience with this please share, I want to avoid any mishap. Thanks!

In the link you provided they used Birch plywood which is also called cabinet grade plywood. very stable and usually made of multiple thin sheets of birch.

Your tank with sump and full of water, rocks and all will weigh less than 600 lbs. 2 X 4 is way over kill.

As far as trying to skin it, you can use any 1/4" or 1/8" ply of your choice. Go to a wood store, not HD or Lowes and you'll find a lot of different wood types. Since it's a "skin" your not using it for structure.

If you can post a picture of what you have built, I/We can get a better idea of what you are trying to accomplish.

In the link you provided they used Birch plywood which is also called cabinet grade plywood. very stable and usually made of multiple thin sheets of birch.

Your tank with sump and full of water, rocks and all will weigh less than 600 lbs. 2 X 4 is way over kill.

As far as trying to skin it, you can use any 1/4" or 1/8" ply of your choice. Go to a wood store, not HD or Lowes and you'll find a lot of different wood types. Since it's a "skin" your not using it for structure.

If you can post a picture of what you have built, I/We can get a better idea of what you are trying to accomplish.

This is great advise - I'll upload some pictures soon when I get back in town.

Thanks everyone!

Hello,

It is for a 35 gallon cube tank with a 10 gallon sump. I built the frame out of 2x4s and was going to do the skin like the stand below.

My question is do you think the legs on the below stand will hold up? I really like that look but am a little cautious of it. Any thoughts or suggestions?

http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/...ding-simple-aquarium-stand-jonathan-hale.html

Also - what kind of wood would you use to get a similar look, it says birch in the below link. Is that an easy wood to stain?

Thanks,

Gary

LOL.. that DIY tutorial is "EASY" if you have all that gear. Chances are if you have all that equipment you don't need that tutorial since you probably already know how to do it.

In regards to your original question it can be done but I wouldn't recommend it unless you understood what materials to use and how to construct it properly.

Back