Diy Sump

HEADCHEF1971

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME ? IM BUILDING A REFUGIUM SUMP FOR MY 58 GALLON REEF TANK.IM NOT SURE IF THERE IS ANY GUIDELINES THAT I MUST FOLLOW TO BUILD ONE. MY SUMP IS A 20 GALLON GLASS AQUARIUM. 30X12X12. DO I NEED TO PUT A CERTAIN AMOUNT OR MINIMUM AMOUNT OF BAFFLES? I JUST NEED HELP IM A LITTLE CONFUSED . IM NEW TO THE HOBBY BUT IVE KEPT FRESHWATER TANKS ALL MY LIFE AND I HAVE A 5000 GALLON KOI POND WITH 500 GALLONS OF FILTRATION. A DIY JOB

ANYONE HAVE ANY GOOD SITES, DRAWINGS OR PLANS?

Matt Rise

capslock.gif

ek9vboi

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7499566#post7499566 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Matt Rise
capslock.gif

LOL!

But seriously, turn it off. On another point, I am planning to do my own sump too! Read up on it.

Here is my set up:
From the left to the right...
-Left would be the return area (where return pump would sit)
Baffles 3-4; over, under, over, and then under again if u have room (30L should be no problem). Space them about 1-1.5" away from each other. It eliminates mircobubbles, the slower the water enters this area, the better.
-Center would be refugium; place live rock, macro plants, and sand.
-Baffles (Should need just 1)
-Right; this spot is where the skimmer sit as well as the overflow water from the tank would enter.

Gerad

mine is set up with 3 chambers. 1 inlet from tank with skimmer. 2 my return. 3 a comtrolde amount of h2o and my refug. i have read that you should not run the refug before the return because it will force to much H2O through it. IDN just the way i do it. it seems to work so far.

RonD

Premium Member
just my 2 cents here...Your baffles on the left side look to be a bit close together.. this may cause your water to flow really quickly thru them and may not give enough time to de-microbubble before going back up to your display.. thus more microbubbles in your display.

ek9vboi

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7533929#post7533929 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RonD
just my 2 cents here...Your baffles on the left side look to be a bit close together.. this may cause your water to flow really quickly thru them and may not give enough time to de-microbubble before going back up to your display.. thus more microbubbles in your display.

Thats correct. I would change that up and locate the refugium on the outside. Have the return in the middle with an extra tee for the refugium, with thre refugium it needs a slower pace of water going through it so it has time to do whatever it needs. With the tee and a ballvalve it can be adjusted accordingly. Same goes for the return, have a ballvalve to control that too.

The flow rate in the sump should only be around 3-5 times what u hold in ur display tank. If you need more flow then try the SCWD wavemaker or add more powerheads in the display tank.

HEADCHEF1971

OK I THINK THAT I WILL DO WHAT YOU SUGGEST. i will put the fuge on the right , the skimmer to the left and the pump in the middle. i will probably gain more fuge space also. i will i attach the pump to the tank if it is in the middle . i really want to stay away from 90 degree fittings. the drain will pour right into the skimmer chamber, right. should i just turn the tank around and remove the 2 closest chambers and add a tall plexiglass wall for the fuge. if i redesign it i will probably gain more room . let me know what you think.

ek9vboi

Yes, the drain will go right into the skimmer chamber. All I would redo is the refugium and return chambers. Just take apart the baffles that divide the refugium and return and put a taller baffle and make sure the the FLOW IS LOW in the refugium chamber so the water that spills over won't cause bubbles on its way back to the return. Since you have a ballvalve or should have one, adjust it accordingly.