DIY tank cover

gregr

Hey all- thought I'd share this since it worked out so well. Pretty easy and cheap to make- just requires a trip to a big hardware store for the frame, a purchase [online is possible] for the mesh cover, some crazy glue and a hack saw.
Here's the molding I used. Be great if it were black but I didn't see that anywhere.
And here's the mesh stuff.
Measure the dimensions of the rim of your tank, cut, glue the pvc frame together, glue the mesh to the frame and voila. I drilled some recessed grooves for the powerhead power cables so they don't keep the frame fitting properly around the rim. That's it- super easy and no jumpers. That mesh lets the light and oxygen thru. I've got LEDs so no heat/fire issues.

A couple snaps:
DSCF2885.jpg

DSCF2887.jpg

I haven't finished it yet- needs to be cleaned up. Also, I'm DIY challenged so anyone with a tiny bit of skill could make it look a million times better.

I just took a long look with and without the cover and I have a hard time seeing any difference. Need a PAR meter to know abosutely- will try to borrow one and post the results sometime. That said, I'm running Ecotech Radions at 60% so light loss is a non-issue.

Good idea. I need to do that and neaten up the mesh so it doesn't look so sloppy. Gets the job done though- no jumpers and I have two fish that are notorious for carpet surfing- flasher wrasse and orange diamond goby. Awesome fish that I haven't kept in years because of their adventurous spirit.

I was wondering if there was a reason why you just didn't go with the window frame screen kit. I've used them on both my framed and rimless tank and they're easy and inexpensive and they have a very clean profile. Just wondering....

Back