DIY Vortech screen cover

tektite

I never finish anyth
Made a DIY vortech cover awhile back, finally got around to writing something up about how I did it :) Anemone proof!

Product made
P1150951.jpg

Supplies used: Drill, dremel, 1/8" acrylic, regular fiberglass window screen, and 3 holesaws (4", 3 1/8", 2 1/2")
P1150878.jpg

Secured the acrylic to the wood so it wouldn't move while making the rings, predrilled the center 1/4" shaft for the holesaw bit
P1150914.jpg

Made my disc, 4" holesaw used
P1150916.jpg

Drilled again with the smaller holesaws, using the same center hole for the holesaw's bit so it was exactly centered - 2 1/2" holesaw used for the front vortech ring, 3 1/8" holesaw for the rear ring
P1150917.jpg

Sanded the ring a bit, holesaw's not too smooth :) The front ring only needed evening out, the back ring will need to be sanded just a little bit larger than 3 1/8". A little bit of sanding and the rear ring fits snugly over the back of the vortech. Don't sand too much because its the snug fit that keeps the cover on the vortech.
P1150922.jpg

P1150923.jpg

Small piece of window screen, superglued to the outside of both rings. Extra cut off and the cover is done!
P1150934.jpg

P1150936.jpg

P1150940.jpg

Fits perfectly over the vortech. Easy to slide off and clean. One thing I did not add to this prototype was small pieces of acrylic joining the front and back rings to add some rigidity to the cover, I will do that with future covers.
P1150942.jpg

P1150943.jpg

P1150944.jpg

I was going for something that would be easy to clean and not impede flow too much :)

I had DIY tank seperator screen and put it around mine.

Lets just say they became a trap for everything.

Those holes look tighter than what I used.

Very nice and good idea.

How long has it been running so far?

I have tube anemones so I wanted small holes. The BRS screen would help keep some things out, just too big of holes for my application.

Torques head screws..... are those normal there?

I'm confused as to why you would need this with a tube anemone though, they don't really move and certainly not up the glass.

Any pictures of it after it's been running for a week or two?

Lol, i just needed to keep the acrylic clamped to the wood, just used some wood screws i had laying around. Tube anemones especially when they are new to an aquarium can leave their tube and go floating around.

You want timely? Put a nice sized bta in the 150 yesterday afternoon. It was hanging on the rock where I wanted it to ultimately stay and lights went out and all was well. Woke up this morning and see my wet side of one of my vortechs laying on the bottom with the bta inside it. Stupid thing decided to take a stroll and wound up *almost* dead. Just a while ago it looked like he was going to split because of the trauma but I don't see him melting away just yet so we'll see if he makes it.

At any rate I just want to thank you for posting this (heading to Home Depot to get the materials after work today). I am always amazed at any of my hobby forums such as this one when someone takes the time to post pictures and instructions on how to do something like this. It makes it easy for the rest of us who barely have the skills to tie their shoe to be able to make something this ingenious.

Anyway, much appreciated. Your post was VERY timely and I'll bet it will help a lot of people :).

I have a lot of little projects like this, just thought this one might be useful to others. Glad to help :)

I just made one very nice. but I went to harbor freight and got a hole cutter that you can adjust to what size you need. used calipers to get the dia. and cut to fit

Great job Kat! Thanks for sharing.
Now I need to make one so my Mom's tank can have a 'nem and she can sleep at night.

anyone have any pics of this project. originals no longer available ....

would love a permanent solution that doesn't have me buying new screens every couple of months ... thx!

Back