Do hermit crabs kill eachother?

JCnflies

Every week or so I find a chunk of crab breast, with two or three legs attached, in my tank. I have red legged and blue legged as swell as a couple of black legged. Do these guys fight eachother and wind up killing eachother? I also have a blackcap basslet and three emerald crabs..... Thx.

hermit crabs do molt regularly, this could be what you are seeing. The first couple of times mine did, I feared they were dead, but when I counted them, they were all there.

Do you have hermits in a sw tank? Like the ones they sell as pets in pet shops? I didn't know you could put them in the tank as well

Maybe they are molting.... it looks like they are losing half the breastplate at a time, if you will (mostly the bl,ue legged ones) and yes, they are in a sw tank.

dude mine kill each other all of the time. after awhile i just get a few more. it seems as if they are pulling the otherones out of the bigger real estate.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8093104#post8093104 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by blue02celi
Do you have hermits in a sw tank? Like the ones they sell as pets in pet shops? I didn't know you could put them in the tank as well

You're probably thinking of a crab that is land based, and much larger than what people are putting in their tanks.

Back