do hermits reproduce in aquariums?

CTaylor

In past 10 days I seen 2 times lots of free swimming plankton about an hour or so after lights off. They look just iike baby coral banded shrimp (from when I had a mated pair). Same tiny size, same approximate shape. Whitish in color. They are just suspeneded in the water column. I have red leg, blue leg, maybe some other, but I think all red and blue. Also a LOT of amphipods , probably copepods in my fuge (which is in my sump). I dont think it's the amphi or cop's. I say that because I have so many amphi's a cops that I would think I would see THESE baby guys all the time. But this is more rare.

Hopefully my acros are getting some food time when this happens. I havent seen any polyps grab any, but that would be probably lucky to spot that.

TY!

Yes, they do. Generally when this happens, you can find a crab high up on the reef "snapping" its shell down and forcing out dozens of fry at a time.

Kevin

They easily spawn in captivity but they don't actually reproduce in the sense that there will later be little baby hermits. Their larvae stages are just too sensitive an demanding to survive in a reef tank environment.
Even in special larvae tanks it isn't easy to get them through all their larvae stages and finally settle as a baby crab.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

They easily spawn in captivity but they don't actually reproduce in the sense that there will later be little baby hermits. Their larvae stages are just too sensitive an demanding to survive in a reef tank environment.
Even in special larvae tanks it isn't easy to get them through all their larvae stages and finally settle as a baby crab.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thank ThR . I definitely am not expecting to see any actual bbaby crawling crabs :).. Hopefully my corals got some live food those nights though

Back