Do I have too much light?

birds"n"fish

Hi
I have a 55 gal with 175 X 2 MH (14k Ushio) and 2 55watt PC. I'm wondering if I have too much light? The coralline algeae on my live rook is bleaching and also my SPS frags. I just started adding SPS to my tank 3 months ago. Everything else is doing well (zoas,ric,mushrooms,clam)
I set this tank up about 13 months ago and transferred all my live rock from an established 60 gal FOWLR of 4 years.

My parameters:
Temp-78
Ca-420
Alk-8.2
PO4-0
NO3-0
NO4-0
Specific Gravity-1.025
Mag?
Also I preform 10 gal water changes every other week.

Any advice would be helpful
Thanks....

I don't think it's too much light. How old are the bulbs?

You probably don't have a problem with mag, but you should get a test kit. Also, what test kit do you use to test alk?

shouldn't be too much light

I have a 250W MH over a 40g breeder

Make sure to acclimate your corals

I don't think it's too much light. How old are the bulbs?

You probably don't have a problem with mag, but you should get a test kit. Also, what test kit do you use to test alk?

Bulbs are about 4 months old. Also I used Salifert to test Alk. Yeah I'll pick up a Mag test kit this weekend. I just don't know what else it could be I don't know why my Coralline algae and SPS are bleaching...:(

It could be your alk--may be too low. I used Salifert test kit for alk until I found out it was reading 2 dkh too high. I kept my tank at "8" according to Salifert but it was really 6. My corals hardly grew and I had pretty much zero coraline. Use a friends or fish store's alk test kit (not salifert) to make sure.

If you are having a problem with things that require calcium and alk, then calcium or alk can be your problem.

It could be your alk--may be too low. I used Salifert test kit for alk until I found out it was reading 2 dkh too high. I kept my tank at "8" according to Salifert but it was really 6. My corals hardly grew and I had pretty much zero coraline. Use a friends or fish store's alk test kit (not salifert) to make sure.

If you are having a problem with things that require calcium and alk, then calcium or alk can be your problem.

Can anyone recommend a good Alk test?

Before you buy another test kit, you should just check the one that you have. It may be fine and my theory could be wrong :).

Elos is the way to go for Alk and Mg .....Salifert for Ca and Nitrates

You think? I can't stand the Elos Mg kit.

I also don't think its to much light. Maybe PO4 leaching from the LR since it was in a FOWLR for a few years. Do you have any algae problems?

You think? I can't stand the Elos Mg kit.

I also don't think its to much light. Maybe PO4 leaching from the LR since it was in a FOWLR for a few years. Do you have any algae problems?

Yes I do have a little slime algae on the front two sides of my tank. But I run a PO4 reactor..??

Here's a picture so you can see. The coral is turning white from the bottom up. I know the anemone has moved a little close in the picture but my other frag that's further away is doing the same thing. Sorry pic is taken from my i phone.

photo.jpg

I have a
Mag7
Koralia 3
Koralia 2

and I'm still thinking of adding my tunze nanostream back in there (40 Breeder)

Back